Slow SQL install on Windows 2012

• Hi,

I've done a few SQL2012 on Windows 2012 installs. I've found that the install waits for up to 10 minutes at each point of authentication during the SQL install! The MS KB2913102 article says its a bug and you need to install the setup files for SP1 CU8 first. I've tried this but if made no difference at all. The windows\AD policies\configuration is the same as when I do installs on Windows 2008 servers and I have no problems with these. Has anyone else got this problem and no of a working solution please.

Thanks

• We experienced the same when installing SQL2008 with the GUI on a Windows 2008R2 cluster. We didn't find a solution and ended up installing SQL using the unattended setup.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Do you have ALL of the things in that KB in your systems? Also note that the workaround is to use a LOCAL ACCOUNT when installing. Then you can change it afterwards.

Also, I wonder if this could be due to the check/installation of patches that the main installer does (without asking)?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• hmmm ... I am thinking network related here.

Have you looked at your network configuration on that server ? possibly a bad DNS search order ? or even an non-existant DNS suffix entry in your NIC configuration ?

I state this since we have already performed a bunch of manual and automated installs (100+) and not experienced the issues you are referring to. Our installs slipstream in SP1 and CU6 whether they are manual or unattended.

As for the earlier mention of this in SQL 2008, I have also experienced that - slipstream SP1 and you're home free.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks both for that. Yes LocalAdmin is a work around but we then spend time changing settings back to a domain account once it's installed so lose time that way. We run SQL with the SQL Service account as a non SQL Admin so have to make various changes to files\registry entries etc.. But it's worth a thought, thanks.

We've oly had this issue with 2012 and have 8 or 10 installs all of which have been slow. If we de-install then install 2008 it's fine, so I can't really see that it's network\domain\hosts file related.

MS have admitted themselves in the KB that it's a problem, it's just that their workaround doesn't fix it (in my case anyway!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply