Slowly Changing Dimension: Type 2

• Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to build a database with fact tables and dimension tables which will be used for SSAS cube which will be used for reporting purposes.also i have been asked to use slowly changing dimension(Type 2) on one of the dimension table.but i am new to it so i referred few articles i found this link useful:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1442.

Now my question is :

what is the best way for doing this?

1.SSIS package.

2.SSIS package that will call a stored procedure (just like in the link above).

3.or creating a stored procedure in the new database i am going to create.

I haven't created the database yet but i would like to have an idea before i start.

• srilu_bannu (5/11/2010)

...asked to use slowly changing dimension(Type 2) ... i found this link useful: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1442.

Now my question is :

what is the best way for doing this?

1.SSIS package.

2.SSIS package that will call a stored procedure (just like in the link above).

3.or creating a stored procedure in the new database i am going to create.

It all depends on volume.

Appears to be a true statement that SSIS SCD-DFT does not scalates well but that may not be an issue if ETL process is handling a relatively small number of rows per batch.

No doubt that for a process handling a substantial number of rows I'll go with a custom written storedproc.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply