Sluggish row painting in SQL Server Management Studio

• It's an nVidia thing. What can I say, other than (in my experience) they are very good at 3D acceleration and not so much at 2D "acceleration". I had numerous quirks in Visual Studio, as well, especially related to scrolling-based repaints.

Now I only buy development workstations and laptops with ATi cards: Never an issue there (for me)... YMMV.

As for the person with a laptop, most of the better ones do have separate video cards that can be removed and replaced (usually under the keyboard). Talk to your OEM.

-Matt

• Juergen.Guenther (6/24/2008)

Hello.

i have the same problem with Dell Latitude D830 - unfortunatly changing the video card is no option for my laptop 🙁

Disabling the hardware acceration worked - but is not really satisfing to me.

Any suggestions?

Nothing left to do... buy a new laptop 😛

First, check with the folks that sold it to you... they may be able to change the video out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I was told that this was a feature of the GUI as Microsoft did not want you querying the tables this way and therefore made it slow... Or at least were not going to speed it up...

Thanks

• This does not make sense because when I used a different video card, the refresh was instantaneous. So why would MS apply such a "feature" to only specific video cards?

• The latest Nvidia drivers (175.16) broke SSMS for me, as well as a few other programs. I rolled back to the previous version I was using, 169.21, and everything started working again.

• kvoo (6/25/2008)

This does not make sense because when I used a different video card, the refresh was instantaneous. So why would MS apply such a "feature" to only specific video cards?

It's not MS... it's a flaw in nVidia's drivers, end of story. Remember that nVidia's entire basis is 3D acceleration -- 2D is an afterthought to them. They have never been very-high-quality at 2D.

-Matt

• I tried now an older driver - it seems to be a little bit better than with the current one.

What exact type of graphic adapter do you have?

Mine is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.

I am now ordering a new Laptop from Dell, but i have only the choice between the 140M and the 135M from Nvidia or the Intel GMA X3100.

What do you think?

• I'd take the Intel.

-Matt

• Same issue here with a Lenovo T61p.

Windows XP SP3

Intel T7700 @ 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo

2GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX570M

Opening tables and scrolling tables is painfully slow, sometimes you see the redraw, sometimes you don't. It even causes BSOD's from time to time crying about win32k.sys.

Have not tried lowering hardware acceleration yet. I do have the latest driver though. Seems the latest driver has lowered the amount of BSOD's I get but still, this totally blows.

• jay.parker (7/11/2008)

Same issue here with a Lenovo T61p.

Windows XP SP3

2GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX570M

Opening tables and scrolling tables is painfully slow, sometimes you see the redraw, sometimes you don't. It even causes BSOD's from time to time crying about win32k.sys.

Have not tried lowering hardware acceleration yet. I do have the latest driver though. Seems the latest driver has lowered the amount of BSOD's I get but still, this totally blows.

I lowered the hardware acceleration slider to third from the left (disable all directdraw and direct3d accelerations, blah blah) and its very fast now

:rolleyes:

• Hi.

I'm currently using an older driver version (6.14.11.0119) available on the dell site,

together with the latest BIOS A12 everything works quite well...

The row painting is still not a running horse, but it is far better than with the latest version of the Nvidia driver.

I use full hardware acceleration.

• jay.parker (7/17/2008)

I lowered the hardware acceleration slider to third from the left (disable all directdraw and direct3d accelerations, blah blah) and its very fast now

As with most of the other suggestions, moving slider to lower acceleration makes the painting rely more on CPU than on GPU (and hence the video driver). So, as long as you've got CPU power to spare, it's a decent workaround.

I think nVidia has a utility as well that allows you to disable acceleration based on the app, but that may only be for certain cards.

-Matt

• try turning your virtual ram off. Keep every thing in ram.

Test your Ram using memtest89

• jay.parker (7/17/2008)

jay.parker (7/11/2008)

Same issue here with a Lenovo T61p.

Windows XP SP3

2GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX570M

Just found one drawback to lowering the acceleration. Itunes will not display album artwork with the slider that low. One notch up it works but i'm back to having my slowing in SQL if i do that!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply