Snapshot Replication and Compression

• I am using Snapshot replication and compression to move a large database from one server to another.

The other server is over a remote link so I use the compressed CAB file to speed up the process of copying the data to the remote server. The problem I am having is the database file is becoming so large that it can't be compressed. Is there a way around this?

At this point I am just fishing for some thoughts and ideas. There are obviously a number of reasons I am using the above methodology but I don't want to go into them and create a huge e-mail unless there is some interest in this topic.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

Bruce Szabo, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've compressed snapshot files into cab files letting the snapshot agent to do it, but also didn't compress the snapshot and then manually compressed all the snapshot files with rar or any other program.

The difference was very little but manage to compressed it a bit more manually.

If the snapshot is too big and you can't send it across your link, then you can save it to a Cd and have it mail to you.

Or you can also, manually export the tables, (one by one if necesary) to single text files, send those compressed txt files, and afet you sincronized all your tables, you can subscriber without creating the snapshot.

But you will have to deny any changes during this process.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply