Snapshots

• Does anyone know how to restore a snapshot of a database to another server, and then apply transaction log backups to the new database?

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• Hi,

I think the easiest way to solve your situation would be to set up a new Snapshot replication agent to the other server transfering all your data. So your snapshot is Done. Once this is complete, script your tran logs and run them on the new DB.

• This isn't replication I am working with. It is a 'snapshot' backup from a third party tool. To be exact, it is EMC's Timefinder utility. Part of a resource pack for their SAN.

If anyone has worked with TSIMSNAP I would like to discuss my situation with you 🙂

• I'm not familiar with your tool but if it is simply a full database backup you should be able to do a restore using the recovery flag and then restore your log files with the last one using norecovery. See books online if you need additional help on restoring database log files.

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Or if the snapshot are the MDF and LDF files, you can try sp_attach_db.

• Thanks all!

I wasn't expecting a lot of feedback on this one. Not a lot of places deal w/ 'Snapshot' backups so I wasn't expecting much.

We are backing up 500 GB on just one database which is growing rapidly. Our SAN has a nice backup feature and I am trying to get it to work w/out a test environment. Long story of course :-/

The 'Snapshot' is taken when the database is frozen, the mirrors are split, and now I have a backup copy at that point in time. This would be similar to detaching a database and trying to restore.

• Allen,

Once you attach the database it is in a recovered state. You may even end up rolling transactions forward or back. To play the transaction log backups the database has to be in an unrecovered state which can be hacked by (not recommended 🙂 updating the status in sysdatabases with a bitwise OR of 32. But, this is a transaction which will cause corruption between your transaction log backups LSN and the database LSN.

• From BOL.

"The snapshot backup and restore functionality is accomplished in cooperation with third party hardware and/or software vendors. These vendors use features of SQL Server 2000 designed for this purpose. The underlying backup technology creates an instantaneous copy of the data being backed up. This is typically accomplished by splitting a mirrored set of disks or creating a copy of a disk block when it is written, preserving the original. At restore time, the original is made available immediately and synchronizing the underlying disks is done in the background, resulting in almost instantaneous restores."

I guess you have to talk to the hardware vendor and ask for the solution. Please post back once you done.

• Jeff,

Did you manage to resolve the issue with restoring the transaction log files once the the database was restored using TIMEFinder, it would be useful to know as I am in a similar situation.

• Okay...this has been a while ago.  I did manage to restore the database and roll the transaction logs.  There are some command line utilities that you will need to utilize.  First, is to recover the database in a non-recovered state.  I wish I knew the commands off the top of my head...I am guessing tsim.exe, but they may be way off.

• Have you used the tsimsnap2 ?

• wow. This thread started in 2003 and still people are re-using it !

* Noel

• ...Isn't it fun being the first kid on the block to use something...

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply