Snooping a Data Network

• As a DBA, we want to be sure that we our data is safe, not only from accidental mistakes and errors, but also from malicious attacks and theft. We take pains to be concerned about SQL Injection and scan code or enforce stored procedures to prevent attacks. We bother developers about maintaining secure systems, harass users to change passwords and use encryption when needed to protect the data.

And then we get the employees that render that security useless, like this guy. Out in the open, loudly discussing company secrets, giving out meeting codes, I'm surprised that no one asked for a password to the CRM system.

Cell phones are great tools for enabling productivity and allowing us to work in places that we have never been able to before. Blackberrys and other similar PDA type devices along with widespread Wi-Fi hotspots allow even more work to almost anywhere. But that doesn't mean that we should.

When I'm on the phone, I'm very aware of where I am. I should not be arguing, cursing, or anything else in many places, such as at my kids' soccer game. I should not be discussing corporate secrets, especially security related items in public. If someone asks me for a password, they won't get it on the phone. If necessary, I'll text it over to them, though even that carries some risk.

IT spends tremendous effort to extend security to mobile devices, often with dubious success. Part of the problem is that the users do not abide by the cumbersome and difficult security regulations, but situations like this one do far more damage.

Remember that the next time you are working through some crisis on your cell phone. Lower your voice, move into a private area, or use text messages to secure information. It's not just a good idea, it's your responsibility.

And it's more polite for those around you.

Steve Jones

• Absoultely insanely funny. I think that this is just stupid. True, we all have conference calls (sometimes over wireless) but to do it on public transportation is just insane. If this call was so important, why did this executive not just stay at the office? It would seem the logical thing to do. In addition, how effective are you really wirelessly in a wireless conversation? Would it not be better to be at the office, with all the supporting documentation there for you to look at? Yes, technology is wonderful, and yes, you can do anything with it. But just because you can do something doesn't neccessarily mean you should.

I don't feel all too concerned about security on cell phones anymore. In my estimization, people hacking into cell phones is much a thing of the past. If they are gonna crack into something, its likely gonna be your computer. True, there are the occasional eaves droppers, but I feel that they are so few in number that it doesn't make any sense to get worried over it.

Aleksei

A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

• Vital information in a marketing meeting; almost an oxymoron.  I guess it would be really important if baseless lies amounted to anything.

• It's incredible the stuff people will discuss on a mobile device, as if no one around them is able to hear.

I remember being in a dentist waiting room while a guy in the room was discussing in great detail the sexual harassment lawsuit against him and his potential arguments for defense....

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Back in the days way vefore Cell phones were common, I was on a business trip to Boston.  We were put up in a Hotel in Woburn with a whole bunch of IBM execs.  The conversation at dinner was worth every penny I spent on it.  The IBM guys were discussing customer movements, who was going to switch to Apple systems, Who was about to put out a contract for bid, when and what the bottom line was.  We got that contract and we sold a whole bunch of Apple based co-processor boards to the people switching over.  You never know who is listening and why.  Is it unethical, well that's another discussion, I didn't have to do anything to hear these guys I was half a restaurant away.  I learned from that trip how to keep my ears open when in a hotel restaurant.  I also learned not to discuss confidential subjects in the open.  Even in the days of lower tech there were dangers.

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• "Absolutely insanely funny", couldn't have said it better myself, this is one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply