Social Software

• Bravo! Well said. There is too much work to get done to try to blog, and think of a cute headline, and still be technically correct.

I respect the ones that do it well, but for me, I dont have that kind of time.

• I don't post much (or at all) but wanted to say I appreciate that every morning the daily email is waiting for me with at least 1 or 2 articles I can can learn from. Login is free and easy with a simple cookie.

Ken

• Hi Steve,

I must say that I am a bit of a lurker. I enjoy your editorials and often read articles and do research here. I have found this community to be so knowledgeable. I have participated/commented a few times but I feel that there are people with far more knowledge than me here so I "listen and learn". I am a database and applications developer who helps administer our SQL Server installations (which unfortunately are still 2000 so my knowledge is not up to date). I love learning about SQL so a big thank you to everyone for providing great articles and debates.

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• As with many others, I don't feel knowledgable enough about SQL Server to write an article or blog. But I think many people that DO have the knowledge may feel their writing skills aren't up to the task (even with English as their FIRST language! :D) I've had that discussion with co-workers in the past. My experience has been that most people are more interested in the knowledge to be gained than in "grading your paper". As long as the explanations are clear, I'm happy to look past any spelling or gramatical errors - they just aren't important to me in that context.

But in a world where resumes go out and employers search the web for references, I can understand why some people wouldn't want to blog! Anything posted anywhere on the internet is "forever", and 20 years from now it will be interesting to see how these social networking sites have impacted the lives of the people using them.

Oh, and I don't think we should force everyone to do the same things, like blog. People aren't made with cookie cutters - everyone has their strong and weak areas, and I prefer to respect that (always willing to help if someone chooses to work on their weak areas, of course!)

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Hi Steve

this is shamsudheen following is pasted line from your editorial words

There are lots of people that would just like to do their jobs well and not be the center of attention.

it is true , i am also in same kind. i would like to change as per your view

thanks

• 😀 Hi Steve, I would like to thank you for a wonderful article. Might I say that when we learn from these discussions, is it not our duty to give back again. I am also not that good with SQL and my job keeps me very busy so I do not always have the time to take part in these discussions but whenever there is something where I can contribute positively, then I'll do it. I can then also be corrected if my way is wrong. Yes, if anyone can they should participate fully and I don't think anyone will laugh at you for making a mistake.:cool::hehe:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Steve, its your article that every day I am looking out for. The other interesting thing is to read the comments/reply for your editorial. More than the technical stuff I visit your site mainly for your editorial... but these days if I face any SQL questions the first site to visit is you know, its sqlservercentral.

• Steve, thanks for another interesting editorial. Your initial reference to the article on social software was a blast to the past for me. Back in the '80's I was fortunate enough to be able to use conferencing software called Confer that was developed by Robert Parnes at The University of Michigan which was an incredible communication tool. It brought people and ideas together in virtual communities in a way that I think is much more effective than the commercialized Facebook (which my kids got me to join recently.)

I love when articles present anecdotal information to bring home a point and I liked this story near the end of Elizabeth Bennett's article:

[font="Courier New"]When the British Broadcasting Company deployed a blogging platform in 2003, a junior employee at an outlying radio station in the broadcaster’s network started posting programming ideas that caught upper management’s eye, according to Semple. At the same time, senior employees who weren’t contributing to the public conversation began to be perceived as hiding behind their titles. “These tools are the cultural and organizational democratization of the workplace,” Semple says. “They upend the perceived power structure.” [/font]

• I too, for the most part spend a majority of my time viewing articles and reading many of the forum discussions. I have been able to post a few questions of my own and have always gotten answers from different points of view. In my opinion, this is one of the best features of this site - the fact that everybody knows something about something, but definitely does not know everything. Because of this, everybody, no matter what the skill level, learns a new technique or an easier way to do things when coming to the site.

I agree that you don't necessarily need to post a lot to benefit from the site. There are enough people that do post question or problems and there are many talented people that provide answers (I would start naming favorites, but I am afraid I would leave someone out).

I do appreciate Steve for writing the daily editorials (I don't know how he does it) and every once in a while I will find something I can provide input on.

Thanks,

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Ian,

Thanks and it's tough writing every day, but it's also fun for me.

Once in awhile!?!?! Hopefully more often than that, or what that just the editorials? 😉

• I think that I might have been misunderstood here. When I spouted off about a moral obligation that was meant for me and old timers like me. I've gained so much from forums like this that I feel that I have to give back. I also feel that those of us with experience have an obligation to pass on what we have learned. Both to our current coworkers and, by writing, to those that come after us.

If you feel like posting then post. If you feel like lurking then lurk. Enjoy either way.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Steve - Yes, I did mean with the editorials. On that note, I always get something out of the editorials (even if it is different viewpoints on your rants about the SS 2008 release date...:crazy: ). I will say that I do see some editorials that I could comment on, but often read them so late that either someone has made a similar comment or there are so many responses, that I don't post anything. I know I shouldn't let this stop me from providing input and this editorial might get me to comment anyway.

I am still learning (but aren't we all), so I actually feel pretty good if I can contribute something to a post. I have found that posting has helped my confidence (not only with SS, but also in general). I guess the worse thing that can happen when you post is you will be corrected on something (well, actually the worst thing is someone could get real nasty with you, but that can be ignored. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often).

I also agree with Charles:

If you feel like posting then post. If you feel like lurking then lurk. Enjoy either way.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• I agree with Charles as well. I think as community we want to encourage participation without making it an obligation. Sometimes thats frustrating on the author side, but totally understandable on the reader side!

• I know everyone is busy, but voting helps authors. It's a second to vote on an article.

A "good job" or "nice article" goes a long way as well. You don't necessarily have to ask or answer questions, but don't be afraid of trying. A "I'm not sure, but this might work" would be a good start. Let us know you're new, and most people are very forgiving of mistakes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply