Some good tips on projecting database growth?

• Hi folks, I was wondering if there were some good tips/guidelines out there on how to project sizing in the future for various database systems we have. We are planning a move to a new data center and in anticipation of that, they have asked the DBA's what we think we need.

We have sufficient data for at least a year back to establish daily/weekly/montly values (we'll probably go weekly) and the math is pretty straightforward. I guess I'm looking for the softer, "intangible" ways to give ourselves a good margin of safety.

Thanks.

Gaby

• I just love questions that include the answer.

As stated uou already have the volume metrics, trust the data 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Yep... I agree with Pablo... you already have the metrics... make a spreadsheet and a graph from that and extend the line. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• If you have the data, that's the way I'd go.

I was going to suggest using backup sizes, which is how I've tracked database growth over time. I have autogrow set for emergencies, and I monitor the free space, but watching the trend of backup sizes allows me to just see a rough aggregate of data changes. It also allows me to catch strange events like secret loads of data when I see a backup size change unexpectedly.

• Thanks folks, will trust the data then. Regarding backup sizes, I'll have to modify that as some of our backups are compressed, but otherwise, it looks like I have all I need.

Cheers. 🙂

Gaby

• If you retain backup history, that shows the data size before compression. Keep in mind that backups don't show free space, so you need to account for that as part of disk space used.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply