sorted_data_reorg, sp_recompile after reindex

• We have one job on prod server to rebuild the indexes, that job is using the below script.

dbcc dbreindex(tblname,'',0,sorted_data_reorg)

sp_recompile tblname

Here my question is sorted_data_reorg

sorted_data_reorg, was an option under Sql Server 6.x, It is no longer in SQL Server 2000 we are using 2000 only.

Here my question is

1. Why we are using sorted_data_reorg paramer in DBCC DBREINDEX, If I remove this what would be the impact.

2. sp_recompile tblname Is it really required after reindexing.

Rajesh Kasturi

• For Question1:

No impact will be there

From 2K-BOL:

The SORTED_DATA_REORG clause of CREATE INDEX eliminated the sort performed when a clustered index was created. Replaced by the DROP_EXISTING clause of CREATE INDEX. Remove all references to the SORTED_DATA_REORG clause of CREATE INDEX and replace with references to DROP_EXISTING.

For Question2:

From 2K-BOL:

If object is the name of a table or view in sp_recompile, all the stored procedures that reference the table or view will be recompiled the next time they are run.

HTH 🙂

-Hope is a heuristic search :smooooth: ~Hemanth
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply,

Right now I have statement like this

dbcc dbreindex(tblname,'',0,sorted_data_reorg)

If I modify the above statement as

dbcc dbreindex(tblname,'',0)-- You are saying that the while creating the clustered index automatically it will be sorted.

I am not using the CREATE INDEX statement, dbcc dbreindex will be dropped the indexes and recreated.

If I remove the sp_recombile statement will it be any performance impact.

Rajesh Kasturi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply