SP Recompile

• If I have SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF in my SP, does it recompile each time it is accessed?  Someplace I read that it would.

Thanks,

Phil

• To test for sure use profiler as I don't have a way to test here.

• Yes, it will. If you write "SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF" or "SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL ON" (as well as several other SET options) in a stored procedure, then the SP will be recompiled everytime this statement is executed. For more informations, read:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294942

http://www.winnetmag.com/SQLServer/Article/ArticleID/16308/16308.html

The workarounds suggested in the KB article are:

a) use the ISNULL() function

b) set the CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL option before executing the procedure

Razvan

• Razvan,

Thank you very much.

Phil

• Yes, It do recompile everytime. Here are some more notes:

Recompilations due to SET options in procedures are a very common problem, but hard to find. In many

cases, consultants or DBAs may have trouble scanning the sources of large applications looking for

these variables. When developing new applications, unless you have a very good reason, leave the

following parameters at their default ON setting. Setting them OFF inside a procedure will result in

recompilation. The settings include:

– ANSI_NULLS

– ANSI_DEFAULTS

– ANSI_PADDING

– ANSI_WARNINGS

– CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL

If these parameters must be set, do so outside the procedure body. Also, remember that these settings

can also be modified as the result of generated code from another procedure or application.

• Yes, It do recompile everytime. Here are some more notes:

Recompilations due to SET options in procedures are a very common problem, but hard to find. In many

cases, consultants or DBAs may have trouble scanning the sources of large applications looking for

these variables. When developing new applications, unless you have a very good reason, leave the

following parameters at their default ON setting. Setting them OFF inside a procedure will result in

recompilation. The settings include:

– ANSI_NULLS

– ANSI_DEFAULTS

– ANSI_PADDING

– ANSI_WARNINGS

– CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL

If these parameters must be set, do so outside the procedure body. Also, remember that these settings

can also be modified as the result of generated code from another procedure or application.

Regards,

Jithender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply