SP takes about 11 sec inside app. -- But instantly in SQL Mgmt Studio

• Hello,

A single stmt stored proc (the stmt is basically a view from many tables) takes about 11-12 sec. from an app. However, it runs instantaneously in SSMS.

Any ideas as to why?

thanks.

• That is not a lot of information to provide for a performance problem...there could be a lot of reasons for this type of scenario to arise.

- Are you running it with the same input parameters from both?

- How much data does the procedure return?

- Is the application server very busy and/or have insufficient hardware and network resources?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Sorry, but:

1. Running with exact same parms

2. Server not too busy

3. Same result set -- About 10 rows

• Check the connectoin settings, specifically the ANSI settings. When these are different, you will get different execution plans for the same query.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ok.

Is there a way I can see these settings via Profiler?

thanks

• I do see a different exec plan for when the app runs, and when I run it in SSMS!

So I guess as you have indicated, the client is probably affecting the plan....

anyway I can see it via profiler on how the client app is setting it?

• You can see the ansi settings by querying sys.dm_exec_sessions.

• Or you can get the properties form the Connection event in a trace, even from the Existing Connection event. They show in the text column. You can also get them from the execution plan events in trace. They'll show in the root operator (Select or whatever). You can also see them in plans you pull from the plan cache through DMVs

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• mymail.default (3/9/2011)

Hello,

A single stmt stored proc (the stmt is basically a view from many tables) takes about 11-12 sec. from an app. However, it runs instantaneously in SSMS.

Any ideas as to why?

thanks.

Check with your team.Also check the N/W card.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Hi,

check your request waiting by quering following.

select session_id,start_time,status,command,DB_NAME(database_id) As dbName

,wait_type,wait_time,t.text

from sys.dm_exec_requests r

cross apply sys.dm_exec_sql_text (r.sql_handle) t

where r.session_id >51

order by r.wait_time desc

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• muthukkumaran (3/10/2011)

mymail.default (3/9/2011)

Hello,

Any ideas as to why?

thanks.

Check with your team.Also check the N/W card.

Just curious, why would the network card result in different execution plans?

• Grant,

Oh... i didn't read it fullly.

---

You changed your picture 🙂

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• ok, thanks...

I am trying to capture the eventclass: ExistingConnection, to get the connection settings -- but, when I turn on the profiler on, I see the first few entries for the settings, however, when I run the actual client app. I do not see any existingConnection event class in the profiler...

aren't I supposed to see a new ExistingConnection event class when the client app starts to run?

please help 🙂

thanks

• No, you won't see an ExistingConnection event for connections that are not yet existing. Also, don't run the Profiler GUI against your production system. While trace events are pretty safe, the GUI consumes them in a way that isn't.

You want to look for the event Audit Connection.

• ok. I assume this to be the "Audit Login" event.

Thanks for all ur help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply