SP upgrade failure

• I am currently trying to upgrade the passive node of a failover cluster to SP3. The node contains 9 SQL instances. This server was the active node. I first updated the other node without any issues while it was passive, did a manual failover to make it active. Now when trying to update the current passive node, all instances. I am getting the following error in the log file for each of the instances.

Overall summary:

Final result: The patch installer has failed to update the following instance: SQL4 SQL3 SQL5 SQL6 SQL2 SQL1 SQL7 SQL8 SQL9. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.

Exit code (Decimal): -568706566

Exit facility code: 1562

Exit error code: 14842

Exit message: The patch installer has failed to update the following instance: SQL4 SQL3 SQL5 SQL6 SQL2 SQL1 SQL7 SQL8 SQL9. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.

Start time: 2015-05-11 09:33:45

End time: 2015-05-11 09:54:26

Requested action: Patch

Each of the Instances have the following lines in their error logs

Exception type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)

Data:

DisableWatson = true

Stack:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Interop.MSClusterLib.ISClusResource.get_Disk()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.ClusterPhysicalDisk.get_Partitions()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.ClusterConfiguration.ClusterDiskPublicConfigObject.IsPathOnSharedDisk(String path)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.SlpInputSettings.ValidateNotOnSharedDisk(ValidationState vs, String directoryName, String bindingKey, String errorMessage)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.SlpInputSettings.Validate_InstallSharedDir(ValidationState vs)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.SlpInputSettings.ValidateSettings()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ValidateFeatureSettingsAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)

• Have a read of this, it looks like the same issue and is due to cluster disk drives being offline:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/fc983fce-265c-488b-a335-d8fe5ea0586c/sql-2008-sp3-install-failing-on-a-cluster-in-a-biztalk-environment-please-help?forum=sqlsetupandupgrade

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Thats exactly what it was. My sys admin remove the offending disks, since they where not even in use and the update ran fine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply