SP3

• has anyone found any problems using SQL server SP3 yet?

• I have seen issues installing SP3 from some people, but I haven't seen anyone report issues with the server.

• The only problem that I had was solved in "Cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3"

The reason of this package is that 2005 SP2 CU10 and SQL 2005 SP2 CU11 is not included in service pack 3

The problem was slow reindex.

• I got the blue screen of death on a local machine running Win XP SP2, I had skipped SP2. I was able to install SP2 and it appears to be working just fine. I am not sure if I want to install SP3 now.

• So far I have installed SP3 on 2 (non-critical) instances, each running on different Windows 2003 servers. One was Standard Edition, the other Enterprise Edition. Both were previously at SP2 with no CUs.

Both installs went like clockwork. I didn't bother trying to stop the various services beforehand, so that a reboot wasn't required (I haven't had much luck with that in the past); but after a reboot everything worked just fine.

Andy

• kevlray (1/12/2009)

I got the blue screen of death on a local machine running Win XP SP2, I had skipped SP2. I was able to install SP2 and it appears to be working just fine. I am not sure if I want to install SP3 now.

SQL server can't cause a bluescreen. A BSOD is either a hardware error, or a bug in code running in the kernel (either the OS or a device driver)

No part of SQL Server runs in the kernel.

I assume you are even talking about a sql server service pack and not an xp service pack?

• I just finished installing sp3 on the last of my production instances and have had no issues. I've been running it on dev boxes for three weeks or so.

• I just finished installing SS2005 SP3 Standard Edition for two instances after a 1/2 day figuring out why one instance (the default MSSQLSERVER) was failing to update.

I was getting the message from a window labeled "Hotfix.exe" that said: "A recently applied update, KB955706, failed to install." I skimmed the log (14,000+ lines):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB955706_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

But couldn't find the problem. Then I looked into the file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Summary.txt file

and saw an error that it could not find this database: F:\MSSQLDATA\temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database.mdf

I searched all my drives and couldn't find it anywhere. I read on another forum to change the default database location to what the installed default was. To change the path, open SSMS and select the properties for the instance and then select "Database Properties". I guessed the default paths for data and logs to be

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data

...and then the SP3 update was a success!

Strange that the other instance (one that is not the default instance) updated just fine with my own specified path instead of the default path for data and logs.

Strange too, that MS would require that the database default location would have to keep the same path it had when SS2005 was installed. And strange that the .mdf doesn't exist before nor after installation. It must be created, referenced and then deleted by the install program.

-Doug

• I was installing SP3 for SQL Server 2005, when it got to a particular point in the install, then I got the blue screen of death. Running SQL Server 2006 on XP SP2.

Since this is my regular desktop, I have a lot of regular apps running on. So it may be a conflict with the install program and something I have already installed.

• Whislt on subject, i have Cluster (three physical), ACTIVE, ACTIVE , and both ACTIVE roll to PASSIVE.

When installing SP3 do you have to stop sql server or run whilst it up and runniing on the first node and it picks up 2nd and standby.

Cheers

• I had a similar problem installing SP3 for SQL 2005. My initial installation was successful on everything except for the Database Services. After a reboot I tried re-running the installation to only update the Database Services and it would continually fail with an error that said Unable to Install KB955... Installation Failed. I tried some of the suggestions in this post since my data files are installed in a location outside of the default directory but I didn't have any luck. I also found some MSDN blog posts that mentioned a possible permissions issue but that was not the case either.

In my case there was a registry key which was preventing the installer from running properly. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Setup Please note that your SQL instance may be in a slightly different location i.e. MSSQL.1

There is a Reg_Dword Key named "Resume" that was set to 1. Once I changed this to 0 I was able to re-run the SP3 installer and it completed successfully.

Apparently after a successful installation and reboot this key should be set back to zero but in my case it wasn't. The installer was then led to believe that I was still in the middle of an installation which was causing it to fail.

Hope this helps!

• I ran the install twice on my cluster (active\active 2 node). Once on each node.

• When installing on active active, it didn't do it automatically ? hmmm

Did you turn off the sql or leave it up running in live and then apply.

Did you have to reboot afterwards or roll clusters ?

• I left sql running on each node and no, it didn't pick up the second node when I did the install. Reboot was required for each node.

In retrospect, if I had failed one sql instance over so that both instances were on one node it probably would have installed both at once... but then you still have non-clustered components like SSIS and client tools that need the update so you would still be running the install twice.

• None of the pruposed solutions for Hotix KB955706 worked for me. My default was already in the specified location, my reg dword was already 0. Any other ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply