SP3 installation in clustered environment

• Hi,

We are planning to install SP3 in clustered sql server 2005.

From the Readfile of SP3:

Failover Cluster Installation

The following information applies only to SQL Server 2005 components that are part of a failover cluster.

To install the service pack on a failover cluster:

To ensure that SQL Server 2005 SP3 will be installed on all nodes of a failover cluster instance, verify that the TASK Scheduler is running on all passive nodes of your failover cluster instance.

If any resources have been added that have dependencies on SQL Server resources, those dependencies must either be removed or taken offline before you install SQL Server 2005 SP3. If you do not remove the dependencies, the installation of SP3 will take those resources offline.

Note:

When a clustered resource is taken offline, all dependent resources are also taken offline by the cluster service.

Run the SQL Server 2005 SP3 executable package file from the active node that owns the group containing the failover cluster instance that you plan to upgrade. This installs the service pack files on all nodes in the failover cluster. You cannot install SP3 from any passive nodes in the failover cluster.

On the Feature Selection page of the SQL Server 2005 SP3 Setup Wizard, select the failover cluster instance that you plan to upgrade. Setup will prompt you for the login credentials that are used to connect to other nodes in the cluster.

Note:

Keep all nodes of the cluster online during Setup. This ensures that the upgrade is applied to each cluster node.

If you removed dependencies or took resources offline in step 1, restore the dependencies, or bring the resources online.

Note:

Setup might require you to restart the failover cluster nodes. This restart replaces the files that were in use during Setup.

In the highlated portion, if we do not remove dependencies on SQL Server resources or taken offline before you install SQL Server 2005 SP3, the SP3 installation will take care and take them offline and installation will be successful right?

or is it mandatory to take the resources offline?plz advice me

• Hi,

We have the drives E,F,G as resource dependies for the instance INS1. I did not remove these drives or take them offline. I installed SP2 as as well as SP3, it was successful. As the readme file says if we do not take the dependent resources offline SP2 or SP3 setup will take them offline. But I tested this and I found that the setup is not taking the resources offline. But The installation is successful.To better undertand what Iam saying plz see the attached screenshot.

plz some body can shed some light on this

• i have installed it today on my company cluster server i was getting an error, the problem was that i have created a trigger to prevent database creation or deletion and the service pack keep failing until i disabled the trigger.

and the question is what is the relation between the two things?

..>>..

MobashA

• Hi,

Could you plz clarify me this thing as we are going to apply SP3 in production servers in cluster environment.This is the only thing,where Iam not sure what to do?So plz advice me

In the highlated portion, if we do not remove dependencies on SQL Server resources or taken offline before you install SQL Server 2005 SP3, the SP3 installation will take care and take them offline and installation will be successful right?

or is it mandatory to take the resources offline?

• no there is no need to take any thing offline, the installer will take care of it.

..>>..

MobashA

• I think database trigger prevented the deletion/creation of hidden system database named mssqlsystemresource.

MJ

• Good info... thanks all. I am planning SP3 install on 64-bit sql 2005 cluster and hopefully I wouldn't have much to talk about :o) other than all went well.

thanks all,

~Leon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply