SP4

• Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has installed SP4 and had any serious issues.  More to the point, has anyone installed on servers that are part of replication?  The microsoft documentation is not quite as complete as I would like it. 

Clearly the Distributor needs to be updated before the publisher, but where do the subscribers fit into the senario?  Any help would be appreciated.

Our Setup:

Server1: Distributor/subscriber

Server2: Publisher/subscriber

Server3: Subscriber

Server4: Subscriber.

My best guess is to apply sp4 to Sever1, Server2, Server3, Server4.

Thanks,

Jeff

• What type of replication? Transactional? Merge?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We are using Transactional Replication with push subscriptions, not updateable by the subscibers.

Thanks!

• You're right, there's not a whole lot of guidance there. Looks like distributor, publisher, then subscribers should be fine based on the guidance they provide for MSDE.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Let me preface this all by saying I don't use replication a whole lot myself. Therefore, if there is someone else (such as Andy Warren) who does, you should probably take advice from them first.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Cool, Thanks for the help.

• No problems using Merge Replication with SP4 installed.

• We've recently started a project to apply SP4 to SQL Servers involved in replication.

(Trans with 158 subscribers). We experienced one similar error each time but this was easily corrected. We've updated the Distributor first ( a requirement), will be doing the publisher next (have done on test, not live) and then will be doing the subscribers.

With trans repln you can upgrade the subscribers before the publisher, but distributor must always be done first.

PRW.

Paul R Williams.

• Yes, the only restriction is the distributor first, after that, the order is the same.

Beware if someone is using linked server to a OLAP server because SP4 will cause problems. You must apply the last SP4 patch to make it work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply