SP4 and AWE - Take two.

• Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this memory issue is killing me. I had a lot of hair at the beginning of the week.

Windows 2003, SQL 2K,SP4, plus SP4 Hot Fix applied. 32 gig of ram. 4 Procs.

Boot.ini = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)....

\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition" /PAE /NoExecute=OptOut

sp_configure  ==>> awe enabled = 1  and Max server mem in SQL set at 28400.

Local system account starts the MSSQL Service.

Issue === System still only using 1.6 gig of ram, TaskMgr...Perfmon window show 31,076,511 Physical memory still available.

SQL error log still showsthe following message even when I add local service to lock memory privilege in local policy.

""Cannot use Address Windowing Extensions because lock memory privilege was not granted".

Any thoughts truly appreciated. Thanks, Brian

BPH

• Not sure that you seen KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811891

PRB: SQL Server Only Uses Two GB of Memory Even Though the AWE Option is Enabled

• Hi BL,

Thanks. I've been through that article and made the local policy changes as suggested, still no go.

It's frustrating to have that much ram sitting idle.

BPH

BPH

• Is there something else running on this server that needs memory?  Why not let it dynamically allocate instead of setting a max?  In systems with >3GB SS is supposed to gobble up all available on its own if there isn't a max setting (and you've configured PAE and AWE which it appears you have).  Can't hurt to try.

• When you look at the local security policy, say a few hours after you make your change, has it reverted back? In other words, the SQL Server account no longer has the lock pages in memory right?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• HI KB Kelly,

The local security policy doesn't revert back. The local service account still show having permissions to lock pages in memory. 

Thanks, Brian

BPH

• I've looked for another post where someone is having the same issue you are. Unfortunately, I'm not finding one. If the local security policy is indeed showing up with the service account having permission to lock pages in memory, and you've done the standard server restart, you may want to call Microsoft on this one as it may be a bug.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply