SP4 install on Cluster

• I am in the process of building a 4 node SQL Server 2000 cluster on Windows 2003.  I successfully built a similar cluster several weeks ago on VMWare.

I installed the first instance -- it was a named instance -- and all seemed to go well.  SQL Server starts up and can fail over to other nodes.  I can also connect to the instance from a remote machine.  I am using the same service account that was used in the VMWare cluster.

The problem I am having is that I can not get SP4, or SP3a for that matter, to install.  After entering the instance name, I get the message "Virtual Server does not exists on this machine. Please enter the name of an existing Virtual Server." 

I have verified that I am attempting the service pack install on the correct node and that the instance name is correct.  I also can not connect using the SQL Service Manager applet (stop light). 

Anyone have any ideas on what can be wrong?

Thanks,

Kathi

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Correction to post, I can not connect to the instance from a remote box.

Simple-Talk Editor

• This is interesting, I think my problem is that I am entering the instance name when I should be entering the virtual SQL Server name.  Somehow when I installed the cluster on VMWare it was obvious what the wizard wanted. I got further than before, but the service pack eventuall errored out.  At this point, I am uninstalling the first instance.  I'll then reboot all the boxes and start over.

Simple-Talk Editor

• It worked.  Too bad I didn't realize this sooner.

Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply