SP4 upgrade to SQL 2K cluster

• Hello - haven't got anywhere with this so I figured I'd give it one more try! Situation - Applied SQL 2000 service pack 4 to 2 named instances on an Active/Passive cluster. On Node 1 of cluster one instance will show as SP4 but the other will show SP3!? Failover to other node (Node 2) both show to be SP4!? There didn't appear to be any problems with the install. I have rebooted both nodes, entire cluster, and failed back and forth multiple time; all with same result: Node 1=SP3/SP4 and Node 2=SP4/SP4!!!

The cluster is Windows 2K Enterprise Edition. Running for about 3 years, haven't had any problems except this? Any idea's??

• Sorry but no, we upgraded our sql cluster to SP4 a month ago (w2003 enterprise for IA64 and sql 2000 enterprise for IA64) without any problems.

I'll have a look around and see if I can see any reason for it but i just wanted to say that I sympathise

• How are you checking the SP version? Via SELECT @@VERSION? If so, for the instance giving you problems, where is the master database actually located?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi Brian - I'm not really sure what you mean about master? When I check for @@version it is on respective node that currently owns the service. Is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!!!

• Do the following:

EXEC sp_helpdb master

Where are the master and mastlog files located? Are they on one of the drives attached to the cluster group?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes

• Have you attempted running the SP4 upgrade on the named instance that's giving you an issue with that named instance on the physical node that's reporting SP3? In other words, run the SP4 upgrade from that node while the named instance is running there. I'm wondering if particular files didn't make it over. Your database files should have updated if they were on the shared drive but maybe some binaries didn't get hit. Not sure why, though.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks - I did try that the day it all started but to no avail!

Luckily this is a staging environment so I'm just leaving it on the Node where both instances report SP4. Unfortunately this is part of our SQL consolidation "farm" where we have about 20 apps sharing the instances so it is a Change Management nightmare even here in staging to get anything done (like failover or installing patches) since it is "shared".

I aggree with you in that it sounds like some binary just did not make it over. Finding it would be the issue!

This definitely means our production "farm" won't be going to SP4 anytime soon! Thanks for the advice and if anyone hears of anything please let me know!!

Happy Holidays,

- Mike

• Hi Chubbsm

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed 2 new instances on a IA64\Win2003 cluster. Both nodes shows SP4 on the node I installed the sp from (with no other instances on the node).

Have you solved it? Uninstalled the the SQL Instance and reinstall?

Would like to hear..

• Never resolved!! Left as is. If & when I ever have to upgrade our production cluster I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed! Never had any problems with this cluster except for this SP issue on the 1 node.

• I found another thread questioning SP4 on active/active cluster. We are running a/a cluster so I just installed the SP on both nodes - booted them and it seems to work great. I have to wait until it's fully stabalized.

Strangely the documentation of the SP doesn't mark this out - differnece between active/passive and active/active.

Regards

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply