sp_help error

• Greetz!

So last night I was all excited about finding the sp_help command. I ran it in SQL Server 2008 Express edition and it gave me lots of useful info. I came to work today and fired it off on one of our machines, SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and got:

use Test_Content_DB

go

exec sp_help 'Test_Content_DB'

Msg 15009, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_help, Line 66

The object 'Test_Content_DB' does not exist in database 'Test_Content_DB' or is invalid for this operation.

I'm in the sysadmin and public role on the instance. I don't have to add myself to every DB do I? Is there just a setting I need to alter on the instance?

Thanks!

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• sp_help is for ibjects in a database. If you need help or info about a database, you have to sue sp_helpDB

-Roy

• Some examples of sp_help.

A. Returning information about all objects

The following example lists information about each object in the master database.

USE master;

GO

EXEC sp_help;

GO

B. Returning information about a single object

The following example displays information about the Contact table.

USE AdventureWorks;

GO

EXEC sp_help 'Person.Contact';

GO

java[/url]

• What I ran last night was sp_help 'Sample' and got 2 reulstsets back. The first contained info like db_size, id, owner, status, compatability_level. The second resultset showed infor about the files that made up the db (mdf and ldf's etc)

I should be able to run sp_help with a dataabsename (not sp_helpdb...unless thats 2008 specific..it does work though) and get similar results.

I'm wondering if it could be permission related. Undeer Security/Logins I have public and sysadmin roles assigned to my login. I'm not, however, seeing my login when I open a particular DB.

• As per definition of books online sp_help

Is the name of any object, in sysobjects or any user-defined data type in the systypes table. name is nvarchar(776), with a default of NULL. Database names are not acceptable.

-Roy

• Great! Thanks Roy. I'm still confused about how I got it to show results last night with a database but maybe that's an Express thing. I appreciate the clarification.

• MothInTheMachine (12/19/2011)

Great! Thanks Roy. I'm still confused about how I got it to show results last night with a database but maybe that's an Express thing. I appreciate the clarification.

sp_help stored procedure’s behaviour doesn't change per server edition. Try the same command on old system (where you got DB information) once again, I bet it would work as Roy has already explained here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply