sp_msforeachdb

• Hi,

Can you suggest some T-SQL code  to automate so that a script say select * from employee can be run on about 200 databases in a sql server instance and output mailed via a csv file?

I would like to use a sproc and then use sql agent to exec that sproc every AM at say 8.

Thanks

• sqlguy80 - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:18 PM

Hi,

Can you suggest some T-SQL code  to automate so that a script say select * from employee can be run on about 200 databases in a sql server instance and output mailed via a csv file?

I would like to use a sproc and then use sql agent to exec that sproc every AM at say 8.

Thanks

You post is titled, "sp_msforeachdb". That is certainly an one option. See this link: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1414/run-same-command-on-all-sql-server-databases-without-cursors/

sp_msforeachdb is undocumented and unsupported. If that's a proble you can use this:
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2201/making-a-more-reliable-and-flexible-spmsforeachdb/

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Sticking just with TSQL, here are a couple of other options...

Assuming your target tables have the same schema you could fudge together other alternatives like creating a holding table and running something like this...
    DECLARE @Query NVARCHAR(MAX)
    SELECT @query = STUFF((SELECT ' INSERT INTO yourTable SELECT * FROM [' + name + '].[dbo].[employees];' FROM [sys].[databases] where database_id > 4
    FOR XML PATH(''), type).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)'), 1, 1, '')
    EXEC (@query)

If your database list is fairly static you could write it all out...
    SELECT * FROM [PirateDatabase1].[dbo].[employees]
    UNION ALL
    SELECT * FROM [PirateDatabase2].[dbo].[employees]
    UNION ALL
    SELECT * FROM [PirateDatabase3].[dbo].[employees]
    UNION ALL
    SELECT * FROM [PirateDatabase4].[dbo].[employees]

You could stuff that in a view if you like...
    I never said it was pretty.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply