sp_send_dbmail and varchar(max)

• I am trying to send email reading data of the email transmission table. I am using varchar (max) as I need to send HTML and text contents are more than 8000 characters. It still cuts off at 8000 characters in body text of email.

Did anybody tried this out or know how to do this?

Thanks

• I'm assuming you're saying that you're using @body as the nvarchar(max) value. It would probably help to give an example of the data/code you're working with.

• Sorry about that. See that I declared the variable as varchar(max) but still it truncates at 8000 characters.

Here is the code:

Create procedure [dbo].[usp_EmailSendingEngine]

@DateUpto datetime = null

AS

Declare

@emailTransmissionID int

Declare

@emailToAddress varchar(250)

Declare

@emailCCAddress varchar(2000)

Declare

@emailBCCAddress varchar(2000)

Declare

@emailSubject varchar(500)

Declare

@emailContents nvarchar(max)

Declare

@schduledSendDT datetime

Declare

@actualSentDT datetime

Declare

@sendFrom varchar(250)

Declare

@generatedFrom varchar(100)

Declare

@statusID int

If

@DateUpto is null or @DateUpto = ''

Set @DateUpto = getdate()

DECLARE

emailBatch CURSOR FOR

SELECT

emailTransmissionID, emailToAddress, emailCCAddress, emailBCCAddress, emailSubject, cast(emailContents as varchar(max)), schduledSendDT, actualSentDT, sendFrom, generatedFrom, statusID

FROM

EmailTransmission et

where

et.deleteDT is null

and (schduledSendDT is null Or schduledSendDT <= @DateUpto)

OPEN

emailBatch

FETCH

NEXT FROM emailBatch

INTO

@emailTransmissionID, @emailToAddress, @emailCCAddress, @emailBCCAddress, @emailSubject, @emailContents, @schduledSendDT, @actualSentDT, @sendFrom, @generatedFrom, @statusID

WHILE

@@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail @recipients = @emailToAddress, @subject = @emailSubject,

@body = @emailContents, @body_format = 'HTML' ;

--if email was successful log it; or mark for Resend or error

FETCH NEXT FROM emailBatch

INTO @emailTransmissionID, @emailToAddress, @emailCCAddress, @emailBCCAddress, @emailSubject, @emailContents, @schduledSendDT, @actualSentDT, @sendFrom, @generatedFrom, @statusID

END

CLOSE

emailBatch

DEALLOCATE

emailBatch

• In the table EmailTransmission, is the emailContents column also nvarchar(max)? I'd test the length of that column. I'd also make everything consistently nvarchar(max) instead of alternating between varchar(max) and nvarchar(max), though I don't think that would be the problem.

• Actually it is ntext in table. I removed casting to varchar(max) and it worked. Though I don't see any reason why cast is cutting off at 8000 characters.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply