Specific "Invalid character value for cast specification" problem

• Hi, I'm a new DBA and am a rookie when it comes to working with SQL Server 2005.  I have been tasked with transfering an Access database to SQL Server 2005.  Now I understand to use the import/export wizard, but am having problems fixing an error I am receiving.  Here is the error...

Problem I

- Copying to [IS_Shared_ServicesTest].[dbo].[tblResource] (Error)

* Error 0xc0202009: Data Flow Task: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR.  An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80004005.

An OLE DB record is available.  Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client"  Hresult: 0x80004005  Description: "Invalid character value for cast specification".

(SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

* Error 0xc020901c: Data Flow Task: There was an error with input column "Contract Start Date" (115) on input "Destination Input" (80). The column status returned was: "Conversion failed because the data value overflowed the specified type.".

(SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

Here is the short version of the error.  I realize that there is an error with the conversion and the error is in tblResource in column Contract Start Date.  It is still transfering the column over, and on spot check they seem fine.  Should I be really worried about an error?  Or is there something that I can do with the Access or SQL server database to fix this?

• Hi,

This could most probably be because Access and SQL Server have some differences, and the data that coming in from Access could be incompatible with SQL Server. Also, check if the field on the destination is of smalldatetime. In this case too it could be the case of data incompatibility. Just try checking the data on Access.

Regards.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply