Specific OLTP Design Question

• Hi,

I've worked with many databases in the past 20 years, and [sadly] have never seen a great design for an OLTP system. So I'm posting to collect views/comments on the following.

I need to design a product database. Each product belongs to a category and each category has different attributes associated with it (eg. colour, size, style etc.). The number of values an attribute has varies enormously (eg. the number of colours is vastly greater than the number of styles).

Product to Category is 1to1

Category to Attribute is ManytoMany

I am struggling with the design structure. So far I have:

Product

(ProductID, ProductCategoryID etc.)

Category

CategoryID

CategoryName

CategoryAttribute (link table)

CategoryID

AttributeID

Attribute

AttributeID

AttributeName

Now I need to store the possible values for each attribute, which is not manytomany (each value only has meaning for a specific attribute):

AttributeValue

AttributeValueID

AttributeID

Value

All makes sense to me so far. The problem is how to structure the product table so that I know which attributes it has? I don't know how many attributes a product might have...could be 2 or 10.

So do I need a ProdutAttribute table, like this:

ProductAttribute

ProductAttributeID

ProductID

AttributeValueID

Thanks for your views!

Regards,

Richard

• Your ProductAttribute is really a ProductAttributeValue table and it should not have the ProductAttributeID in it as it can be completely determined by the AttributeValueID.

Unless, the AttributeValueID is not really an Identity value (Primary Key) but only a subsequence number of ProductAttributeID.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sorry I should have said the first ID field listed is a primary key of that table.

And you're right of course, the last table should be ProductAttributeValue and the two fields together are the primary key:

ProductAttributeValue

AttributeValueID

ProductID

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply