Specific question about Standard vs Enterprise ed.

• Hi,

Are there any differences in how the image datatype is handled in standard and enterprise edition?

I have an application which uses the image datatype. Insert is done via ADO and it works well when running against SqlServer Enterprise edition. When running against Standard I get an error message after about 140 inserts: "Timeout expired.".

I get no error when inserting an empty string into the image field.

When running against Enterprise edition I've managed to insert about 150.000 records.

The size of the data inserted into the image-field is up to 50K.

/fredrik

• Hi again.

I don't think this problem has is an edition issue but I still would like to know if there is a page out there that shows the differences between standard and enterprise edition on a deeper level than the one Microsoft presents. More like "is this command supported"-page.

/Fredrik

• No differences that I know of on the image types. Havent seen a more detailed page myself.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Are the Default timeout settings on the server the same ????

• Hi,

Yes, I have checked all settings (that I know of) and they are the same (I will doublecheck them, especially the timeout on the connection).

Databaseproperties, serverproperties, connectionproperties, MDAC-version, servicepacks are the same.

Somehow it feels like I've missed a checkbox/setting buried somewhere deep down in the propertypage-hell. 😉

• Are all the hardware pieces the same? Type and speed of NIC, Amount of RAM, type, speed and access time of HD, etc? Many hardware aspects can affect overall performance and account for some differences in running.

• I think I found the problem.

The database was set to grow with 2 GB. The server is brand new and the disks are empty. Also the disks are (surprisingly) not Raid.

When I was doing an insert the db wanted to grow, this took too long and that resulted in a timeout.

I have adjusted the settings for the growthrate and now it works.

Thaks for the responses.

I am still interested in good sites about the differeces on a command-level between standard and enterprise editions .

/fredrik

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply