speed up this query?

• Hi,

After I failed to get my previous query sorted.. I'm starting again with a new query.

Ok,.. I have two tbls.. one contains the first "district" part of a postcode,.. the other tbl contains full postcodes.

I watn to see how many postcodes exist for each district in the UK..so I do a JOIn..

however to format the full postcode correctly, I am doing a CASE statement on the JOIN statement... I don't think this is the most efficient way of doing things.. how else could this be written?

SELECT     ISNULL(COUNT(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode), 0) AS PCCount, P.Postcode, P.Town, P.County, P.Area, P.Country, P.Master_Account

FROM         dbo.UkPostcodes P LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.Customers_Trade ON P.Postcode =

CASE LEN(REPLACE(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode, ' ', ''))

WHEN 5 THEN LEFT(REPLACE(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode, ' ', ''), 2)

WHEN 6 THEN LEFT(REPLACE(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode, ' ', ''), 3)

ELSE LEFT(REPLACE(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode, ' ', ''), 4)

END

GROUP BY P.Postcode, P.Town, P.County, P.Area, P.Country, P.Master_Account

• Assumming UkPostcodes.Postcode contains the postcode district and Customers_Trade.Postcode

contains the full postcode, how about:

SELECT ISNULL(D.PCCount, 0) AS PCCount

,P.* -- or whatever columns you want

FROM dbo.UkPostcodes P

LEFT JOIN (

SELECT P1.Postcode

,COUNT(*) AS PCCount

FROM dbo.UkPostcodes P1

JOIN dbo.Customers_Trade T1

ON P1.Postcode = LEFT(T1.Postcode, CHARINDEX(' ', T1.Postcode) - 1)

GROUP BY P1.Postcode ) D ON P.Postcode = D.Postcode

• Just to explain to those who aren't familiar with UK postcodes...

The first part of the postcode can have 2, 3 or 4 characters; the second part always has 3: a single digit followed by two letters.  So a postcode in the Manchester area might be M1 4DB or M12 4DB; one in Leeds might be LS1 4DB or LS12 4DB.  Some districts in London also have an extra letter in the first part, so a postcode in the south-west of the city might be SW1A 4DB or SW2 4DB or SW12 4DB.

Something that would make your query look neater would be the following.  I don't know whether it would improve the performance: you'd have to test that.  Here it is:

SELECT ISNULL(COUNT(dbo.Customers_Trade.PostCode), 0) AS PCCount, P.Postcode, P.Town, P.County, P.Area, P.Country, P.Master_Account

FROM dbo.UkPostcodes P LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Customers_Trade ct

ON P.Postcode = LEFT(ct.PostCode, LEN(REPLACE(ct.PostCode, ' ', '')) - 3)

GROUP BY P.Postcode, P.Town, P.County, P.Area, P.Country, P.Master_Account

If you are able to change the table structure, consider adding a computed column to Customers_Trade that strips off the second part of the postcode.  Then you can join on that.

John

• Hi John.

I am able to alter the tbl structure as required.

The query I posted at the beginning is actually only have of it.. I also need to have a WHERE clause which works out the last time a customer ordered to see if they should be included in the postcode count.. therefore I think  anything I can do to help the query might be an option..

So I'm gonna have a play with a new column in the Customers_Trade tbl and see how that affects things.

• John thanks for taking the time to explain how UK postal codes work;

I've only being only exposed to US postal codes, which are all numeric but can have preceeding zeros, so it's good to see how to tackle other postal issues.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply