Split Comma Seperate Column Problem

• Koen Verbeeck (3/17/2011)

Jeff, stop interfering in SSIS threads. 😛 😀

Ahhh!!! Be nice to Jeff, he can't help it if he is stuck in a T-SQL sandbox and can't come out to play 🙂

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Phil Parkin (3/17/2011)

Yes, SSIS still uses this archaic form of not equals

Not that archaic ... so does C#.NET 🙂

Ewwww... VB ftw!

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• David Burrows (3/17/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (3/17/2011)

Ahhh!!! Be nice to Jeff, he can't help it if he is stuck in a T-SQL sandbox and can't come out to play 🙂

Heh... I've even been accused of being a Luddite. I'm not, really... I write stored procedures for stuff that SSIS can't do all the time. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/17/2011)

David Burrows (3/17/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (3/17/2011)

Heh... I've even been accused of being a Luddite. I'm not, really... I write stored procedures for stuff that SSIS can't do all the time. 😀

Ah, but Jeff, there is one thing SSIS can do that T-SQL can't.... RBAR efficiently. :w00t:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks all of you guys, I just want to give you update, i got the expression may be some one wanna to here it is, In derived column you can create new Column and paste these expression.

Col 1 --> SUBSTRING(Description,1,FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",1) == 0 ? LEN(Description) : FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",1) - 1)

Col 2 --> FINDSTRING(Description,",",1) == 0 ? NULL(DT_WSTR,4) : SUBSTRING(Description,FINDSTRING(ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description,",",1) + 1,FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",2) == 0 ? LEN(Description) : FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",2) - 1 - FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",1))

Col 3 --> FINDSTRING(Description,",",2) == 0 ? NULL(DT_WSTR,4) : SUBSTRING(Description,FINDSTRING(ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description,",",2) + 1,FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",3) == 0 ? LEN(Description) : FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",3) - 1 - FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",2))

Col 4 --> FINDSTRING(Description,",",3) == 0 ? NULL(DT_WSTR,4) : SUBSTRING(Description,FINDSTRING(ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description,",",3) + 1,FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",4) == 0 ? LEN(Description) : FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",4) - 1 - FINDSTRING((ISNULL(Description) ? "" : Description),",",3))

• Allright, glad that you found the solution. Thanks for posting back!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I'll bet you're hoping that the input file won't get a load of extra columns added any time soon!

Too bad we can't write user-defined functions in the derived column editor - this would be a prime candidate.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply