Split CSV file - this is different

• I have a CSV string that is already in SQL server as a single field.  I did other manipulation to the string, and now need to split it into fields.

Example #1

The data has the same number of commas.  Lets say there are 12 fields, some are populated, others are not.  There are a lot of blank fields.

I need to do this with a stored procedure.

DATA:

Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,,

Tom,Jones,,dog,,,,,,,,,

Paul,,,,,,,,,,,red,

Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,

Example #2

Same as above, but now there are two record types, type 1 and 2.  The 1 and 2 are in the record.  Type 1 has 12 commas, and type 2 has 5 commas.

DATA

1,Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,,

1,Tom,Jones,,dog,,,,,,,,,

1,Paul,,,,,,,,,,,red,

1,Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,

2,big,A,,,

2,small,A,,,

• charindex or patindex can help you find the commands and then substring can help you split them out.

I wrote a series on working with strings that might help you

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/tamestrings2.asp

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/tamestrings1.asp

• Hi,

You could bcp out the data, then bcp/BULK INSERT it back in again.

You must unlearn what You have learnt

• I use the following stored procedure for cases similar to yours. It returns the "next" (leftmost) token, then strips that token from the source string (@s). In the loop example, I loop until the source string is empty.

The example uses a loop, but you can also just repeatedly call the SP with different variables for the token, as in the second example.

(I've also written a UDF version of this that preserves the source string)

CREATE PROCEDURE uspGetToken

(

@parm varchar(1000) OUTPUT,

@delim varchar(100),

@token varchar(1000) OUTPUT

)

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @spos int

SET @spos = CHARINDEX( @delim , @parm, 1 )

IF @spos = 0

BEGIN

SET @token = @parm

SET @parm = ''   

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @token = SubString( @parm, 1, @spos - 1)

SET @parm = Substring( @parm, @spos + Len(@delim), Len(@parm) - @spos )

END

GO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- SAMPLE USAGE 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DECLARE @S varchar(1000), @d varchar(10)

DECLARE @token varchar(1000)

SET @S = 'Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,,'

SET @d = ','

PRINT @S

PRINT '---------------------------------------------------------'

SET NOCOUNT ON

WHILE @S <> ''

BEGIN

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, @d, @token OUTPUT

PRINT '>' + @token

END

GO

-- SAMPLE USAGE 2

DECLARE @S varchar(100), @d varchar(10)

--DECLARE @v1 varchar(1000), @v2 varchar(1000), @v3 varchar(1000), @v4 varchar(1000), @v5 varchar(1000)

DECLARE @Fname varchar(20), @Lname varchar(20), @DOB varchar(8)

SET @S = 'Doe;Jane;12231968'

SET @d = ';'

PRINT @S

SET NOCOUNT ON

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, @d, @Fname OUTPUT

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, @d, @Lname OUTPUT

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, @d, @DOB  OUTPUT

PRINT @Fname

PRINT @Lname

PRINT @DOB

GO

• mkeast, interesting solution, the type of thing I was hoping for

excuse my stupidity, but when I try to replace the @S with the field that contains this string I'm trying to parse, all it seems to grab is one record

• rockmouse, I know how to bulk insert in, how do I bulk insert out?

If I have a table with a single field, say TestData..Field01, how do I create a file in c:\testdata\fileout.txt

• By using bcp. ( see BOL for this )

There was a discusiion here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44176

• >excuse my stupidity, but when I try to replace the @S with the field that

>contains this string I'm trying to parse, all it seems to grab is one record

Make sure that @d is set to the appropriate delimiter ( comma, semicolon, wahtever) that appears in @S.

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, @d, @token OUTPUT

@S is the source string, which contains strings delimited by the value in @d

@d is the delimiter (can be up to 100 chars)

@token is the leftmost substring taken from @S and returned by the SPROC.

After the first call, the substring (@token) and the first delimiter (@d) is deleted from @S:

SET @S = 'ABC,DEF,GHI'

EXEC uspGetToken @S OUTPUT, ',' , @token OUTPUT

At this point, @S = DEF,GHI' and @token = 'ABC'

Maybe the UDF version would work better for you:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fGetToken

(

@parm varchar(8000),  -- source string containing delimiters

@delim varchar(100),   -- delimiter string

@whichOccur smallint  -- number of the delimited string you want, from the left

)

RETURNS varchar(8000)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @occur int, @spos int, @startPos int, @maxlen int

DECLARE @token varchar(8000)

DECLARE @delimLen int

-- Len() function ignores trailing blanks, so if our delimiter is a space,

-- or multiple spaces, Len() will returns zero.

IF Len(@delim) = 0 AND DataLength(@delim) > 0

SET @delimLen = DataLength(@delim)  --  DataLength(@delim) * 2 for nvarchar

ELSE

SET @delimLen = Len(@delim)

SET @occur = 0

SET @startPos = 1

SET @maxLen = Len(@parm)

WHILE @occur < @whichOccur AND @parm <> '' AND @parm IS NOT NULL AND @startPos <= @maxLen

BEGIN

SET @spos = CHARINDEX( @delim , @parm, @startPos )

IF @spos = 0

BEGIN

SET @token = Substring(@parm, @startPos, 8000)

SET @occur = @occur + 1

BREAK

END

SET @token = SubString( @parm, @startPos, @spos - @startPos)

SET @startPos = @spos + @delimLen

SET @occur = @occur + 1

END

IF @occur <> @whichOccur

SET @token = '' -- or NULL

RETURN @token

END

GO

-- SAMPLE USAGE

DECLARE @S varchar(1000)

SET @S = 'Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,Dog,'

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 1) AS [1]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 2) as [2]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 3) as [3]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 4) as [4]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 12) as [12]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 13) as [13]

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 14) as [14]

• mkeast, thanks for your patience and help

I'm still having a problem.  Lets assume I have a table called SlowThinker (that me, LOL) and it contains one field, ExData.  There are numerous records in the table, but for this example lets assume there are just three records:

DATA:

1,aa,bb,cc,dd

2,ee,ff,gg,hh

3,ii,jj,kk,ll

DECLARE @S varchar(1000)

SELECT @S = ExData FROM SlowThinker

SELECT

dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 1) AS [1],

dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 2) as [2],

dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 3) as [3],

dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 4) as [4],

dbo.fGetToken(@s, ',' , 5) as [5],

When I execute the above in Query Analyzer, I get the last record only:

1      2   3   4    5

3      ii   jj   kk    ll

How can I get all the records to appear?  Thanks again.  This is a very creative method, I'm just not grasping how to apply it.

• You can't select multiple rows into a local variable like that.

DECLARE @S varchar(1000)

SELECT @S = ExData FROM SlowThinker

I ran this:

DROP TABLE SlowThinker

GO

CREATE TABLE SlowThinker

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

ExData varchar(100)

)

SET NOCOUNT ON

INSERT SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (1, 'aa,bb,cc,dd')

INSERT SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (2, 'ee,ff,gg,hh')

INSERT SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (3, 'ii,jj,kk,ll')

-- DECLARE @S varchar(1000)

-- SELECT @S = ExData FROM SlowThinker

SELECT * FROM SlowThinker

SELECT dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 1) AS [Value1],

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 2) AS [Value2],

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 3) AS [Value3],

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 4) AS [Value4],

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 5) AS [Value5]

FROM SlowThinker

================================

RESULTS:

================================

id          ExData       

----------- -------------

1           aa,bb,cc,dd

2           ee,ff,gg,hh

3           ii,jj,kk,ll

Value1           Value2           Value3           Value4           Value5

---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------

aa               bb               cc               dd

ee               ff               gg               hh

ii               jj               kk               ll

ll                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

• Here's an expanded example showing how you could insert rows into a new table while parsing, or update existing rows with the parsed data.

DROP TABLE SlowThinker

GO

DROP TABLE TheData

GO

CREATE TABLE SlowThinker

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

ExData varchar(100)

)

CREATE TABLE TheData

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

Col1 varchar(100),

Col2 varchar(100),

Col3 varchar(100),

Col4 varchar(100),

Col5 varchar(100)

)

SET NOCOUNT ON

FROM SlowThinker

INSERT TheData (id, Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4, Col5)

SELECT id,

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 1) AS [Value1],

FROM SlowThinker

PRINT ''

PRINT 'INSERT data'

PRINT ''

SELECT * FROM TheData

TRUNCATE TABLE TheData

INSERT TheData (id) SELECT id FROM SlowThinker

UPDATE TheData

SET Col1 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 1),

Col2 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 2),

Col3 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 3), 

Col4 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 4),

Col5 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 5)

FROM TheData d JOIN SlowThinker s ON d.id = s.id

PRINT ''

PRINT 'UPDATE data'

PRINT ''

SELECT * FROM TheData

• mkeast  ...  WOW  .... this is really cool, thanks again

• rockmouse thanks for the link for bcp out  ...  I need that for another task, this mkeast solution for this parsing issue is slick

• Here is an expanded example showing how to use the UDF to INSERT or UPDATE rows in a table.

DROP TABLE SlowThinker

GO

DROP TABLE TheData

GO

CREATE TABLE SlowThinker

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

ExData varchar(100)

)

CREATE TABLE TheData

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

Col1 varchar(100),

Col2 varchar(100),

Col3 varchar(100),

Col4 varchar(100),

Col5 varchar(100)

)

SET NOCOUNT ON

FROM SlowThinker

INSERT TheData (id, Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4, Col5)

SELECT id,

dbo.fGetToken(ExData, ',' , 1) AS [Value1],

FROM SlowThinker

PRINT ''

PRINT 'INSERT data'

PRINT ''

SELECT * FROM TheData

TRUNCATE TABLE TheData

INSERT TheData (id) SELECT id FROM SlowThinker

UPDATE TheData

SET Col1 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 1),

Col2 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 2),

Col3 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 3), 

Col4 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 4),

Col5 = dbo.fGetToken(s.ExData, ',' , 5)

FROM TheData d JOIN SlowThinker s ON d.id = s.id

PRINT ''

PRINT 'UPDATE data'

PRINT ''

SELECT * FROM TheData

• Hi,

I tried to do this in 1 select, and this is what I came up with,

there is probably room for improvement but seems to work

Edit: Ooops there was a second page in this thread...

Anyway posting it

CREATE TABLE #SlowThinker

(

id int PRIMARY KEY,

ExData varchar(100)

)

SET NOCOUNT ON

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (1,'Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (2,'Tom,Jones,,dog,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (3,'Paul,,,,,,,,,,,red,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (4,'Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (5,'1,Ed,Tom,1/1/2000,,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (6,'1,Tom,Jones,,dog,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (7,'1,Paul,,,,,,,,,,,red,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (8,'1,Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (9,'2,big,A,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (10,'2,small,A,,,')

INSERT #SlowThinker (id, ExData) VALUES (11,'2,,,,,')

select

n.id,

max(case when nbr = 1 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n1,

max(case when nbr = 2 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n2,

max(case when nbr = 3 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n3,

max(case when nbr = 4 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n4,

max(case when nbr = 5 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n5,

max(case when nbr = 6 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n6,

max(case when nbr = 7 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n7,

max(case when nbr = 8 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n8,

max(case when nbr = 9 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n9,

max(case when nbr = 10 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n10,

max(case when nbr = 11 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n11,

max(case when nbr = 12 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n12,

max(case when nbr = 13 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n13,

max(case when nbr = 14 then substring(n.ExData,idx,nxt_idx-idx) else null end) as n14

from

( select

1 + len(substring('*'+ExData,1,number))-len(replace(substring('*'+ExData,1,number),',','')) as nbr,

number as idx,

case when substring(ExData,number,1) = ',' then number else

case charindex(',',','+ExData,number+1) when 0 then len(ExData)+1 else charindex(',',ExData,number+1) end

end as nxt_idx,

id,

ExData

from

#SlowThinker,

master.dbo.spt_values tallytable

where

tallytable.type = 'P'

and charindex(',',','+ExData,number) = number

and number > -1 ) as n

join #SlowThinker on #SlowThinker.id = n.id

group by

n.id

DROP TABLE #SlowThinker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply