Splitting out System DB data and log files?

• Setting up a new server , should I split out system DB data and log files to different drives like the user databases?

As there isn't much activity on these can i just lump all files onto my data drive as its the fastest.

• master, msdb and model should just be left as is, no need to separate them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (8/31/2016)

master, msdb and model should just be left as is, no need to separate them.

Thanks Perry I have kept them together.

• TempDB however may well need its own drive or two, depending how much load is put onto it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/5/2016)

TempDB however may well need its own drive or two, depending how much load is put onto it.

Exactly what I've been saying

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (9/5/2016)

GilaMonster (9/5/2016)

TempDB however may well need its own drive or two, depending how much load is put onto it.

Exactly what I've been saying

Thanks guys, due to my limited disk setup I have had to lump TempDB with user DB log files on a SSD.

The other system DBs are with my user Data files on RAID 10.

• bugg (9/5/2016)

Thanks guys, due to my limited disk setup I have had to lump TempDB with user DB log files on a SSD.

Be aware this is not ideal or recommends at all

• Perry Whittle (9/5/2016)

bugg (9/5/2016)

Be aware this is not ideal or recommends at all

Yes i am aware of this, my other idea was to use the backup disk drive for the User log files therefore keeping the separate from tempDB. Then send backups to to my mirror box... but not sure how much the backups will impact my mirroring .

Either way its going to be better then the RAID 5 everything is loaded onto at the moment.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• JasonClark (9/5/2016)

I hope this link helpful for you:-

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb402876.aspx

Probably not, since it's about Policy-Based Management.

This rule checks whether data and log files are placed on separate logical drives.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply