SQL 2000 - cannot restore MSDB DB - because it was created by a different version

• Hello,

Im trying to restore MSDB DB, i receive the following error message :

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The backup of the system database on device Data Protector_(DEFAULT)_msdb_10_51_36 cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219783) than this server (134219767).

I understand that I will need restore on the same version of sql 2k( sp), but im not abble to find out whats is this version

134219783 = ??

134219767 = 2K SP4

Any ideal ?

The backup has been taken with dataprotector its not a .bak files

thx a lot

• Try using ..

RESTORE headeronly FROM DISK = 'bkfilename.bak'

This will give you the version under SoftwareVersionMajor, SoftwareVersionMinor, and SoftwareVersionBuild.

From the build you can go to http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/ to see what version you need.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Thx for your help Mohit,

The problem is that the backup is not on the disk its an tape, the only way to restore is via my backup application ( DataProtector )

My plan is simply to unistall the SQL 2k, then re-install to the maching version of the SQL backup.

But i cannot find 134219783 is witch version.

All that because server crash, I re-install SQL with SP4, restore the DB but its not workig for system DB due to SQL version

other ideal ?

• have you got any of the old errorlogs? They list the version number on startup.

Does not help you this time round but this is a prime example of why you should not rely solely on these enterprise solutions for recovery, always do SQL native backups of your system databases as well.

As part of your DR process unload info such as select @@version and sp_configure so you can rebuild your instance exactly as before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I d'ont see any error message after my restore in the SQL logs, the only error message that I have is from my backup application :

[Warning] From: OB2BAR_Main@canmtlapp05.ds.liz.com "(DEFAULT)" Time: 4/13/2009 10:54:04 AM

Error has occurred while executing a SQL statement.

Error message: '

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The backup of the system database on device Data Protector_(DEFAULT)_msdb_10_51_36 cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219783) than this server (134219767).

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.'

Sorry but i dont really understand what you mean by :

As part of your DR process unload info such as select @@version and sp_configure so you can rebuild your instance exactly as before.

thx a lot

• I don't know how to translate that number; few times I ran into it I couldn't figure out. I got lucky that someone else had ran into exact same number.

But how about this? I am not sure if the HPDP keeps the log information in MSDB ...

If it does you can do...

Restore the MSDB backup as another database MSDB2 then run the following SQL Statement:

SELECT * FROM BACKUPSET and ORDER BY BACKUP_START_DATE DESC

And check the columns for Software_Major_Version and Software_Minor_version and Software_Build_Version.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

• Hello,

Found it, the trick was to restore the MSDB with option DISPLAY HEADERS ONLY

Then look for the number of the SoftwareVersionBuild

Im my case was 2055

THen i google this number and i find out that i need to apply a security patch on the SP4 of the SQL server

When the security fix was apply, i proceed to a regular restore of the DB and it work fine.

thx a lot for all the help

• Thanks for feed back .. hmm Display Header Only? LOL I guess they can't copy Microsoft LOL.

Thanks again 🙂

Glad you got it to work, I usually use http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/[/url] to find the build/patch it includes all major ones.

And if you find something that doesn't exist you can leave them a note and they will add it :).

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

• Thanks for the post and follow-up. This was killing me on trying to do a restore and your researched pointed me in the right direction!

• @Forum_Newbie

Please post the link to the security patch you are talking about, for those who encounter the same issue

• This can be done ina easier way.

1. Restore the MSDB Database as msdb_test database on the server (this is just like any other user db restore).

2. Take backup of this msdb_test DB which is restored in above step. Thus you will have backup of msdb with the same version.

3. Now restore the msdb from this new backup. Please make sure the sqlagent is stopped before restoing the msdb.

4. this is just for information, if you are restoring msdb on other server, we might not able to edit/update the maintenance plans present. Thsi is because the originating server column in msdb.dbo.sysjobs would ahve the original servername. As a solution to this proble,

Run the following t-sql statement.

UPDATE msdb.dbo.sysjobs

SET originating_server='present_servername'

Thsi is all.. No need of unnstalling sql server even if the version is different 🙂

Hope this will be useful.

• Nalini Devarakonda (6/5/2009)

This can be done ina easier way.

1. Restore the MSDB Database as msdb_test database on the server (this is just like any other user db restore).

2. Take backup of this msdb_test DB which is restored in above step. Thus you will have backup of msdb with the same version.

3. Now restore the msdb from this new backup. Please make sure the sqlagent is stopped before restoing the msdb.

4. this is just for information, if you are restoring msdb on other server, we might not able to edit/update the maintenance plans present. Thsi is because the originating server column in msdb.dbo.sysjobs would ahve the original servername. As a solution to this proble,

Run the following t-sql statement.

UPDATE msdb.dbo.sysjobs

SET originating_server='present_servername'

Thsi is all.. No need of unnstalling sql server even if the version is different 🙂

Hope this will be useful.

The update sysjobs fix above does not work for SQL2005.

The above process above sounds risky to me as the msdb , which ia system database, will not have been through the process of having the upgrade scripts applied to it. you may get away with this sometimes but any table or code changes will be missing and this could come back and bite you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi Grasshopper,

I am facing the same issue.. I was trying to look for hotfix 2055...but can't get any link...would you be able to share with me the link....By the way, would you be able to advise restoration using Symantec Backup Exec...from 1 server to another server?

• You should be able to do a Google search for what you are looking. I found the following

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply