SQL 2000 & Pervasive database.

• Hi,

Does any one have experience of running both of these on the same server ?

and if so did you experience any issues.

Your opinions / experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian.

• Yes, I've done it starting with a NT 4.0 server running SQL 6.5 / Pervasive 6.15 upgrade to Pervasive 7.0.  The databases on this server were supporting different applications. The server was actually a converted desktop and was underpowered for the SQL application.  Once I figured out what was going on (I didn't set it up), we bought a separate server for the SQL.

I've done it with a Windows 2000 STD server running MSDE and Pervasive 2000i SP3.  The MSDE on this box was used exclusively by Veritas backup Exec.  I didn't set this one up either, but I didn't have problems with either database over 4 years after I took responsability. 

The current server I have doing this is Windows 2003 STD, running SQL 2000 STD SP4 and Pervasive 2000i sp3. 

For this last one, I built a new server for the application in my second example, knowing the next version of the software was converting from Pervasive to SQL 2000, so I installed the SQL before migration.   Currently, the SQL is only hosting a Citrix database.  This new server doesn't use BackupExec (uses Tivoli instead).

The pervasive is just another service, is accessed via different ports, and for the most part, just runs.

So long as you have don't want to try to share data between them, there isn't much to setup, although if either database is supporting any size of application / number of users, putting them on separate hardware is desirable.

• Thanks for that - gives me more confidence, particularly since the pervasive backend is for our payroll

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply