SQL 2000 Restore

• How long should a point-in-time restore take in SQL 2000? The database is about 250MB in size. The restore ran in just a couple of minutes but the database has been in LOADING status for about 4 hours!

Is this normal? There were quite a few transaction log and differential backups to restore.

If it is stuck, how can I interrupt the process and start over?

Thanks

Tim Harding

Tim

• If the restore process already started but the db is still loading, then I guess

that you executed the restore with the option norecovery.

If you have multiple files to restore from, Use the option norecovery to all the backups, except the last one.

When you restore your last log backup change to Recovery.

NoRecovery lets you continuing restoring from backups files, and the recovery option closes and

finish the process of loading the db

• The restore was initiated through EM. What I need to know is if it will complete eventually or if I have to intercede.

If I have to stop the LOADING process midway. how is that done?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

• If you finished restoring all your backup files, until the last log backup, qith QA you can execute RESTORE DATABASE dbname WITH Recovery.

Of from EM you must reinitialize the restore process but leaving the "Leave Db nonoperational..." in the options tab, for all the restore you use, except the last one, that you must change to "leave db operational"

Saludos.

• Thanks - If it wasn't done that way (the last restore was done WITH RECOVERY) is there a way to stop it?

I don't think it can be restarted without stopping the LOADING process first - EM returns a message that a restore is in progress and no information can be displayed for the database.

Tim

• If the last job was done with NO RECOVERY then the LOADING means that it is still waiting for the rest of the restore data. It's not really restoring right now, it's locked up because the last thing it was told was DON'T RECOVER.

You aren't going to like this answer, but,

Deattach the database. Delete the .mdf and .ldf files. Do the RESTORE all over but this time DO NOT use WITH NO RECOVERY on the last restore file.

-SQLBill

• Don't trust EM.

Try to do your restore with QA.

Franco

Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply