SQL 2000: Service Pack questions.

• Hello,

I'd installed SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server last year and am pretty sure that I immediately installed SP3a. However, recently I was checking the version of SQL server and I got it as 8.00.194 instead of 8.00.760. Using the query analyzer, I ran (select@@version) and I got:

Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.194 (Intel X86)   Aug  6 2000 00:57:48   Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

How is this possible? Microsoft specifically states that for SQL 2000 to run on Windows 2003 - SP3a MUST be installed, which, I am pretty sure I did. Anyway, do I need to reinstall SP3a? If SP3a is already installed, would this reinstall create a problem? Do I need to stop the server when I am installing SP3a and then restart it?

Thanks.

Thanks,

Ram Ganesan

• Reinstalling SP3a shouldn't cause a problem.  You can look in the registry to find out the real service pack installed, under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/MSSQLServer/MSSQLServer/CurrentVersion/CSDVersion.

AFAIK there are also methods for checking the version by checking various DLL file versions.  I'm not too familiar with that method myself though, but you might Google it.

• I don't like @@Version. I always run:

SELECT ServerProperty('Edition'),

ServerProperty("ProductLevel'),

ServerProperty('ProductVersion')

-SQLBill

• Yes, @@Version doesn't seem to be too reliable...  I actually wrote a small .NET app once to interrogate the registry and pull up the correct service pack version number of all SQL instances on a machine.  Have no idea what I did with it though...

• As for if you decide to reinstall, my understanding is that if that is the expected level it will not cause an issue, if there is a later hotfix level expected you need to also apply the hotfix to be sure it is indeed still there.

The process will automatically stop SQL Server during the patching process so it will stop until the restart occurrs in the patching.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply