SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 problem

• I recently attempted to restore a database on SQL2005. The database was orginally created in SQL2000. The restore went fine. I created new login as well. But when the app attempts to login to the db on SQL2005, it encountered problem. The event log reported "login failed" for my applicaiton login. I also fixed the orphan database user, etc. But still no luck. Anyone can help? Thanks

• This could be anything from the disabled network libraries to the user account used to login.

Can anyone login? What's the exact error message?

The best way to migrate data is with the Copy Database Wizard, rather than backup/restore.

• I was just getting the same problem.  Restored the database, added the login to the server and provided it with the same default db as before.

I had to run the old EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_fix', 'userName'

But the asp net user does not work.  I added it to the server and the app_data database but trying the stock login I get An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

And also now when I try and edit the user in the default database I get this error and the login name is greyed out and I cannot enter anything into it.  Any new tricks here?

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Login name must be specified. (SqlManagerUI)

------------------------------

thanks all!

Skål - jh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply