sql 2005 backup retention

• probably a really dumb question, but i cant seem to figure out a way to set backup retention in SQL 2005. I am backing up over the network to a share, and would like the job to automatically delete older backups on that particular share. can someone please show me how to do this?

thanks

• In SQL 2005 you will most likely want to add a Maintenance Clean up Task into your Backup Plan. Set the task to delete files with .bak extensions in your backup folder older then XX amount of days. Its very simple and works well. You may also want to add a few other tasks in like cleaning the maintiance history, DB reindexing, updating stats, and also a If job fails - then send out an admin email alert. Thats very useful for when any issue arises and you loose the ability to get a clean backup.

I hope that helps.

Rob

• awesome! thanks a lot rob!

• dber (3/18/2009)

I am backing up over the network to a share, and would like the job to automatically delete older backups on that particular share.

It always advisable to backup to a local drive keep a copy of your backup file locally, both for performance and for DR purposes.

• No matter where you backup to, the key is making sure your Backup software backups and verifies the SQL backup file correctly. The worst thing in the world is when your network connection goes down and you don’t get last night’s backup. Then the boss calls and says he needs you to restore the database because Sandy from accounting accidently reprocessed the payroll tax and PTO files and duplicated the values. If you don’t have that backup ready in your VERITAS or ComValt, well...... I hope you keep a updated copy of your resume. 😉

• rbartram (3/19/2009)

No matter where you backup to, the key is making sure your Backup software backups and verifies the SQL backup file correctly. The worst thing in the world is when your network connection goes down and you don’t get last night’s backup. Then the boss calls and says he needs you to restore the database because Sandy from accounting accidently reprocessed the payroll tax and PTO files and duplicated the values. If you don’t have that backup ready in your VERITAS or ComValt, well...... I hope you keep a updated copy of your resume. 😉

A local backup file as a best practice.

Backup Mantra:

Backups, Early Backups, Frequent Backups, Verified Backups.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply