sql 2005 cluster side by side install

• I'm not sure a side by side install is possible on the same two cluster sql boxes using a different folder on the same SAN drive ( cluster resource ) for the new 2005 system databases.  ( side by side with sql 2000 Entrprise )

Not many posts here about sql 2005 enterprise installs in a cluster environment which may simply mean few are ready to put 2005 in production this soon after release.  We may have to do a straight upgrade since buying more hardware just to allow a side by side wouldn't be feasible.

That could mean a longer upgrade weekend since uninstalling 2005 and reinstalling 2000 on the cluster would be the last resort recovery if things don't work.

Randy

• Randy, You can installed a SQL2K5 Cluster side-by-side with a SQL2K cluster. This is a supported scenario. When you're ready to upgrade you'll need to use the copy database wizard, detach/attach, or some other mechanism to move the database.

Cheers,

Dan

• Our network administrator was trying to do the install and failed. It may be that he tried to use the same name for our existing sql 2000 virtual server.  I found the post below from Mike at Solid Quality Learning.  I'm not sure what he means by disks that have not been used.  We aren't going to buy a separate SAN.  I was thinking if the existing system databases are on a G drive mapped to the SAN, that we could just create a sub folder there for the sql 2005 system databases.  If you have to assign a separate IP address does that mean more network cards for the two sql boxes in the cluster?

Yes, you can do this.  You need to create a new group which has disks which  have not been used for any other SQL Server Virtual.  Then install a new SQL 

Server 2005 Virtual.  (It will need a new name and new IP address.)  Once 

installed, you can finish the migration by using either attach/detach or 

backup/restore.

• >>> Yes, you can do this.  You need to create a new group which has disks which  have not been used for any other SQL Server Virtual.  Then install a new SQL

I think that Randy neglected to day that before you perform the above step you must first have your SAN administrator create new LUNs for the additional instance. Then these new LUNs need to be assigned to your cluster. At this point you need to use Disk Administrator to format things and assign drive letters. So you really do not need a new SAN, just more SAN disk resources. The rest seems like a normal cluster installation and configuration.

Randy, please correct me if I am mistaken.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply