SQL 2005 Developer's Desktop software upgrades

• Hello People

I have a number of developers on-site whom have the sql 2005 developer desktop tools loaded onto their desktop pcs. Is there any upgrades/patches/updates that I need to install to their pcs ? As a DBA I am the only person with a local SQL2005 instance on my PC so SP2 worked for me, but I don't want to waste the developers valuable time until I know what I should download to sp their pcs ?

Thanks in Advance

• As far as I recall - the same support packs you use on the server will patch the client and workstation tools. Or - just run windowsupdate and it should find what you need to have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Are you talking about SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition? Or are you just talking about the client tools?

Either way, both should be patched to the highest level of any server that they would be connecting to. So, if they only connect to that one instance and it is at 9.0.3054 (this should be the minimum SP2 version you are on, if not you need to apply the hot-fix to get you to this version), then all client tools should also be upgraded to 9.0.3054.

The only time I have found any problems with the client tools being upgraded is when accessing pre-SP2 systems with client tools upgraded to post-SP2 version. In this case, I have found a few issues when working with maintenance plans, but only with maintenance plans.

HTH,

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply