SQL 2005 licensing question

• I need to setup a test instance of SQL 2005. I'm trying to figure out the best way to license it for about 5 users. I see that the developer edition is $49 for one user, so does that mean I need 5 licenses or $250 worth of licensing for 5 users? How do you guys licenses or create test environmnets? I would like to here how others are doing it?

• Per CPU is the most often used licensing type when it comes to big organizations..the more the CPU's the higher the cost

Ex: SQL 2005 standard supports only 4 CPUS - Cost 20,000$

If you need more than 4 CPU's then you need to go for Enterprise Edition which costs a kool 😎 100,000..that means the 5th CPU costs 80,000$ or if you use 8 CPU's the last 4 cost 20,000 each...but hey the number of users are not limited with this..

In your case need to spend 245$ that means 5 users at 49$...did you say you would be fine with SQL EXpress? can save some money you know...:Whistling:

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/Pricing.aspx

This covers basic pricing. However, in you situation it would cost 49 dollars to develop and have people basically test against it. HOWEVER, if this becomes production you have to get the full load. Typically this is done per processor and this means the physical chips on the board not the CPUs that you have. You will also see cal licensing. There is some complex formula (that I do not know) which displays where a CAL is no longer price effective and you should go with processor licensing. If you are exposing this application to the web you have no choice and must go with processor licensing. Developers SQL is enterprise edition so be aware of the difference and only use the features available in the edition you think will suit the eventual use of this application.

• Your best bet for a 100% accurate answer is call Microsoft and ask them. Only takes a few minutes, and the answer is guaranteed.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• One thing I forgot, the user in microsofts case is someone who is actively developing against the SQL Server. So if you have 5 developers developing then yes you will need to buy it 5 times. If you have 1 person developing and 4 testing you should only need to buy it once.

• Conan Whalen-McKain (1/8/2009)

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/Pricing.aspx

....... You will also see cal licensing. There is some complex formula (that I do not know) which displays where a CAL is no longer price effective and you should go with processor licensing. .....

not so complex formula:

* Per CPU (socket, physical chip): self explaining: $ xxx

* Per Server: $X (Server License) + (n * $y) (CAL's) = $yyy

If $yyy < $xxx then go for Sever + CAL, otherwise go for CPU License.

Depending on the version, the break even point is anywhere between 20 - 29 CAL's

• Check Microsoft License Advisor

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/mlahome.mspx

MJ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply