SQL 2005 Log shipping versus DoubleTake for MS SQL 2005

• We were going to use log shipping from a cluster back to a dr site in a different city. Our network Operations folks want us to use a product called DoubleTake for MS SQL 2005. Anyone had any experience or insight with this. Log shipping has worked for us for 8 years, and if I am going to change I want confidence in the product we are going to.

• If your company does want to pay, it is fine. Here is the link for the DoubleTake product.

http://www.doubletake.com/products/double-take/

I am not sure whether or not it can be used for log shipping. Please double check.

• First time hear about this product.

I would read their whitepaper/manual and see how it works. Check their case studies and see which companies are using this product. Download the evaluation version, try and feel, test & test & test and try hard to break/fix it. Ask the vendor to provide a demo, prepare questions. Ask support and SLA. For 3rd party product, support is very important, I think.

• I would ask the networking people that are asking you to use this product to explain exactly what benefit that it will provide instead of continuing to use the existing, working solution, especially since it involves spending additional money. It is their idea, so let them provide the cost/benefit justification.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply