SQL 2005 Tools (QA or CTP equivalent, and BI)??

• Alright - definitely have a newbie (to 2005 anyway) question here.  I installed a server, OLAP, ect. development server today.  I went to install the official client tools on my laptop where I have been running "SQL Server Management Studio Express CTP", and practicing against MSDE 2005.  I opted to install all client tools (BI, etc.) and the client installation found existing installations on my laptop - which it indicated would be upgraded.

After the installation/upgrade routine, I still have "SQL Server Management Studio Express CTP" and it looks as if I now have a new installation called "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005".  I started using "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005" and I could neither find a light weight QA equivalent or something similar to the CTP release I downloaded in November.  In fact, the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005" does not even provide color for key words, reserved words, etc.

What's up???  Do I have the right tools or what?  Also, what tools am I supposed to use to work with BI??  I am completely new to BI so maybe there is a separate install - I personally wouldn't know because I have never used it.  BI, is however, how I was able to get SQL Server 2005 so I need to get started on that.

I'm confused because I was expecting something called SQL Server Management Studio - or some similar nomenclature.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ryan

• I found the answer.  You have to remove all previous SQL 2005 installs before installing the official version.  This doesn't just mean "SQL Server Management Studio Express CTP".  It also means uninstalling SQL Server 2005 Express and all associated componenents that it depends on.

After removing everything, the official client install for the SQL Server 2005 version took MUCH longer (~30 minutes)  and ~1.5 gb of disk space.

I now have Management Studio, BI tools, etc.

Now I need to determine whether or not I can reinstall SQL Server EXPRESS and run them both on my laptop.

Ryan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply