SQL 2008 developer Licensing query

• it would be great if someone can help me out in figuring licensing query.

Though i have checked the MS site but couldn't figure it out.

I already have 10 developer license which my team is using on there individual laptops/desktops.

I have got a new Web project where i am planning to install a developer edtion on a 16 processor VM(say devdbsrv1), and all the 10 developer needs to access the devdbsrv1 through SSMS and there is another server devapp1 which connects to devdbsrv1. devapp1 will further be accessed by 50 testers for testing the application.

How many Developer license do i require ?

--ananda

• sounds to me like you just need one dev edition for devapp1.

if your developers only need to access devdbsrv1 and need SSMS you can install sql express and then connect to devdbsrv1, this way each dev lic for each develper

hope that helps.

• ok another twist, if i install 3 different instance on the devdbsrv1 will that still hold good.

• Ananda-292708 (9/20/2010)

I already have 10 developer license which my team is using on there individual laptops/desktops.

I have got a new Web project where i am planning to install a developer edtion on a 16 processor VM(say devdbsrv1), and all the 10 developer needs to access the devdbsrv1 through SSMS and there is another server devapp1 which connects to devdbsrv1. devapp1 will further be accessed by 50 testers for testing the application.

How many Developer license do i require ?

If you have 50 developers you will need 50 developer licenses. If you read the first paragraph on the Developer Edition page, it states 1 developer license can be used by one developer on numerous systems.

So you can install the developer edition on a server, with as many instances allowed. However each developer that accesses it must have a license. This is the way I read it, at least.

If your company has a MSDN/TechNet subscription or some Microsoft License agreement with a vendor you don't need to purchase developer licenses if the web project is for your company. You only need to worry about the licensing once you move the code and project to production.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Licensing has always confused me, but I have been informed recently that developer edition is not supposed to be used for multiple user connections. I don't know if that is true or not though.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply