SQL 2008 R2 cluster install (subnet, network)

• Hi,

I was going to install SQL Server 2008 R2 named instance in/as an Active Active cluster running Win 2008 R2. There is already one instance.

I only have virtual IP address of the SQL Cluster, didn't know the subnet mask. My doubt is related to properties in Cluster Network config screen which I have attached

1. Subnet -

Can I use subnet 255.255.255.128 or 255.255.255.192? Because I found out the IP address I have was part of one of these subnets.

So can I use the above subnet mask or does Subnet mask have to be 255.255.255.0? Is there something like that?

2. Network - Cluster Network2 or Cluster Network3 ? The cluster network 3 in my case had the subnet the network admin mentioned. So I was going to select Network3, but in properties, the check box, 'allow clients to connect through this network' was selected.

Are the choices I am making correct? Please let me know.

• To know about the subnet mask, ask your network admin, he's the one who knows.

But looking at the IP address you have it's most likely 255.255.255.0.

For the network to use you also have to check with your network admin, you have to use one of the network with 'allow clients to connect through this network' selected, the other are dedicated to the internal cluster chitchat.

And rename your network resources to something meaningful like PROD, BACKUP, CLUSTER, etc... (or have the one installing the cluster do it if its not you). That way it's much easier to know what you are doing.

• Thank You so much Oliii

I apologize, that was a screenshot from the internet. I was trying to make it easier to see what I was referring to. That was not our ip.

I didn't go ahead with the install yet because I needed to make sure I was making the right choices.

"For the network to use you also have to check with your network admin, you have to use one of the network with 'allow clients to connect through this network' selected, the other are dedicated to the internal cluster chitchat." - Yes the network I plan to select has the option allow clients to connect enabled, and I believe it is associated with the subnet too

I have to check for our IP address, however, Network Admin did mention that the IP address we have was in the subnet 255.255.255.192 (or 128), but it definitely was not 255.255.255.0

So, I can use the subnet he specified right?

• Yes, i don't think SQL Server has any restrictions on IP addresses, it just need to know where to listen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply