SQL 2008 R2 on a production Svr

• Hi Guys

Is the SQL 2008 R2 a stable version? is it worth upgrading SQL 2008 to > 2008 R2?

• yes its stable ,CU# 7 and Service Pack 1 is available for R2,I dont think so its worth upon sql server 2008 but there might be some features benefits

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Agreed, upgrade for BI, maybe for compressions if you're on standard. I don't see many other reasons to.

• Are you sure there is already a SP1 fro Sqlserver2008 R2 ? I thought there was only CU#7....

• oskargunn (5/20/2011)

Are you sure there is already a SP1 fro Sqlserver2008 R2 ? I thought there was only CU#7....

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQL+Server+2008+R2/70092/

• SP1 CTP version is available

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Damian-167372 (5/18/2011)

Hi Guys

Is the SQL 2008 R2 a stable version? is it worth upgrading SQL 2008 to > 2008 R2?

I use SQL 2K8 x64 SP2 CU2 and is very stable! we've millions rows distributed on several databases!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • SP1 is not available yet, only a CTP (preview) is available. Not something you'd install on a production instance.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • We have upgraded 50% of our production environment and expect to be 100% upgraded within a few months.

We're running R2 CU7 without issues. The only critical thing is to ensure that the statistics are updated to ensure the QEP's are accurate post db upgrade.

sp_updatestats

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply