SQL 2008 T-SQL

• Jamie Longstreet (8/21/2009)

Excellent question.

First because it demonstrates the MERGE,

Second because it illustrates the $action,

Nice one!

Actually, I was going to say much the same but got a bit sidetracked by the answer confusion... I didn't know about MERGE before but thanks to this QotD it's clear how it works and it will be most helpful in solving a problem I have at work without resorting to extra and less efficient processing.

Cheers!

• Jamie Longstreet (8/21/2009)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent question.

First because it demonstrates the MERGE,

Second because it illustrates the $action,

Nice one!

dave.farmer

Actually, I was going to say much the same but got a bit sidetracked by the answer confusion... I didn't know about MERGE before but thanks to this QotD it's clear how it works and it will be most helpful in solving a problem I have at work without resorting to extra and less efficient processing.Cheers!

Thank you for your responses, it is satisfying to recieve affirmation that the QOD has achieved at least a portion of its objective.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Good question!

• I was lucky :hehe: I got it right!

[font="System"]Bhavesh Patel[/font]

http://bhaveshgpatel.wordpress.com/
  • A nice question. I was lucky enough to see it after the wording was changed to reduce the number of correct answers to one.

But I do feel that this question illustrates how nasty MERGE is - we were better off without it, at least from the point of view of code clarity.

Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply