SQL 2008 to 2016 inplace vs side by side upgrade

• Hi Folks,

Deciding whether to do an in place upgrade or side by side (named instance) on same server.

Probably going to go side by side as its safer. I will then migrate the DBs (5 of them ) 1 by 1 to the new named instance on 2016.

The only con here is that it will no longer be the default instance on the box so a load of connection strings will have to be changed

Obviously this is more work but I think it outweighs the potential risk of the in place upgrade.

Has anyone done a similar upgrade , if so what challenges might i face down the line 😀

Thanks

B

• I do not like in-place upgrades for production servers. If anything goes wrong in the upgrade (and I've seen it happen), then you're left with a non-working system.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/5/2016)

I do not like in-place upgrades for production servers. If anything goes wrong in the upgrade (and I've seen it happen), then you're left with a non-working system.

Thanks, will stick with the side by side install, not worth the risk :smooooth:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply