SQL 2008 x64 on Server 2008 x64 - Job Email notifications

• No, I did not install an "SMTP Service" as I do not want to broaden the attack vector of my server. The SMTP info was added to the properties required for setting up DBMail on a SQL Server. My problem is that when I set the SQL Agent to use DBMail as te Alert, No emails get recieved but it "Thinks" it sent it.

• Thanks for that.

I t still does not work. I have one question though. In the operator property in the field "E-mail name:", exactly what name is it asking for? The SMTP name of yomama@somewhere.net or the display name found in Exchange? Whatever the case, I use either one and it still does not work.

Thanks

• Reboot the box and if it is still not working then talk to your Exchange people because there is some break down of the SMTP traffic.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Nevermind.....

IT WORKS NOW!!!

The field "E-mail name:" in the Opertaor property wanted the correct yomama@somewhere.net address.

This is what confused me from the other SQL 2005 servers. They had MAPI configured and they used the "Display Name" from the Exchange GAL which meant that it resolved that user against Exchange but without using MAPI configuration it needs the actual SMTP email address of yomama@somewhere.net.

SQL Agent job notifications work too now.

Thanks for letting me bounce this off on you folks!

Just to recap, I did NOT install/use SMTP Service and I did NOT use MAPI.

• The field "E-mail name:" in the Opertaor property wanted the correct yomama@somewhere.net address.

This is what confused me from the other SQL 2005 servers. They had MAPI configured and they used the "Display Name" from the Exchange GAL which meant that it resolved that user against Exchange but without using MAPI configuration it needs the actual SMTP email address of yomama@somewhere.net.

The other alternative is to provide Exchange Server information which is not needed if you are running IIS SMTP service.

I posted the above a very long time ago because if SMTP is not running there must be a mail server running to transport the mail.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• We're using an internal SMTP relay server here. Only domain authenticaed member servers have rights to relay. So when SQL (running with domain credentials) relays off it it allows it.

• hehehe..and from the beginning I thought it was not have an exchange server ....

$hell your Experience !!![/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply