SQL 2008R2 CLuster won't come online during install

• Hello,

I am trying to build a SQL server 2008R2 cluster and each time the install fails with the same message:

Cluster network name resource 'SQL Network Name (Rt4UASRVSQLCLU1)' failed to create its associated computer object in domain 'ambulance.wales.nhs.uk' for the following reason: Computer account is disabled and couldn't be re-enabled.

The text for the associated error code is: Access is denied.

Please work with your domain administrator to ensure that:

- The cluster identity 'RT4UASRVDBSCLU2$' can create computer objects. By default all computer objects are created in the 'Computers' container; consult the domain administrator if this location has been changed.

- The quota for computer objects has not been reached.

- If there is an existing computer object, verify the Cluster Identity 'RT4UASRVDBSCLU2$' has 'Full Control' permission to that computer object using the Active Directory Users and Computers tool.

I have given all associated accounts and objects domain admin rights and tried it, it failed. I have tried disabling the Virtual name object and it failed, I have reset the account and it failed.

As far as I can tell I have tried every option to do with AD computer objects and no joy.

Here is a part of the details.txt:

The cluster resource 'SQL Server (INS01)' could not be brought online. Error: The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more

provider resources. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071736)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: The configuration failure category of current exception is ConfigurationFailure

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature SQL_Engine_Core_Inst during timing Startup and scenario Startup.

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.ClusterException: The cluster resource 'SQL Server (INS01)'

could not be brought online. Error: The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources.

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071736) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80071736): The resource failed to

come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071736)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Interop.MSClusterLib.ClusResourceClass.Online(Int32 nTimeout)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.ClusterResource.Online(Int32 timeout)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.ClusterResource.Online(Int32 timeout)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SQLEngineClusterFeature.Cluster(ClusterNetworkName networkName,

ClusterResource[] disks, ClusterGroup clusterGroup, String instanceName, String groupSid, String[] nodes)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SQLServerFailoverCluster.CreateEngineFailoverCluster

(ClusterNetworkName networkName, String instanceName, String groupSid, ClusterGroup clusterGroup, ClusterPhysicalDisk[] diskResources, String[] nodes)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SQLServerFailoverCluster.CreateFailoverCluster

(String instanceName, String groupSid)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SqlEngineSetupPrivate.Install_Startup_ClusterComplete

(EffectiveProperties properties)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SqlEngineSetupPrivate.Install(ConfigActionTiming timing,

Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcb)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.SlpConfigAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.SlpConfigAction.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Exception: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.ClusterException.

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Message: The cluster resource 'SQL Server (INS01)' could not be brought online. Error: The resource failed to

come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071736).

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Inner exception:

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException.

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.Interop.MSClusterLib.

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Message: The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources.

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071736).

2011-04-01 10:43:43 Slp: Watson Bucket 1 Original Parameter Values

This is now becoming a problem, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

SQL: 2008R2 64bit Enterprise

Thanks

Andrew

• the virtual network name already exists, ping it and see if it replies.

If it doesn't and to proceed and use this network name, delete the computer account from AD and from the DNS zone.

Out of interest, why can't you use another network name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Cluster network name resource 'SQL Network Name (Rt4UASRVSQLCLU1)' failed to create its associated computer object in domain 'ambulance.wales.nhs.uk' for the following reason: Computer account is disabled and couldn't be re-enabled.

Try deleting the computer object in question here and start over.

- The cluster identity 'RT4UASRVDBSCLU2$' can create computer objects. By default all computer objects are created in the 'Computers' container; consult the domain administrator if this location has been changed.

I suspect some default permissions/configurations in Active Directory have been changed and is interfering with this.

have given all associated accounts and objects domain admin rights and tried it, it failed. I have tried disabling the Virtual name object and it failed, I have reset the account and it failed.

As far as I can tell I have tried every option to do with AD computer objects and no joy.

The account that you are logged into the server as when you are creating the cluster / doing the SQL install has to have the necessary rights to create the objects in AD. On a related note, it's not a good idea to run cluster accounts as domain admins.

Hope this helps.

• Windows 2008 clusters no longer use a domain account it runs as local system.

See the following KB from Microsoft for further info

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks for the replies.

I have used 2 seperate SQL cluster names in case one was corrupt, no joy. The cluster account domain admin was very temporary. I have found other faults with these servers so we are scrapping them and using 2 new ones. I will let you know how things go but I think this could be an AD issue.

regards

Andy

• Cluster network name resource 'CaptivaDtc' failed to create its associated computer object in domain 'xyz.in' for the following reason: Unable to create computer account.

- The cluster identity 'CAPTIVAIA$' can create computer objects. By default all computer objects are created in the 'Computers' container; consult the domain administrator if this location has been changed.

- If there is an existing computer object, verify the Cluster Identity 'CAPTIVAIA$' has 'Full Control'

===========================================================================================

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering

Date: 4/13/2011 12:41:07 PM

Event ID: 1194

Task Category: Network Name Resource

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: PS08I0902AP121.xyz.in

Description:

Cluster network name resource 'CaptivaDTC' failed to create its associated computer object in domain 'xyz.in' for the following reason: Unable to create computer account.

- The cluster identity 'CAPTIVAIA$' can create computer objects. By default all computer objects are created in the 'Computers' container; consult the domain administrator if this location has been changed.

- If there is an existing computer object, verify the Cluster Identity 'CAPTIVAIA$' has 'Full Control' permission to that computer object using the Active Directory Users and Computers tool.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering" Guid="{BAF908EA-3421-4CA9-9B84-6689B8C6F85F}" />

<EventID>1194</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>19</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-13T07:11:07.701040400Z" />

<EventRecordID>4043</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="2136" ThreadID="4260" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>PS08I0902AP121.xyz.in</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ResourceName">CaptivaDTC</Data>

<Data Name="DomainName">xyz.in</Data>

<Data Name="FailureString">Unable to create computer account</Data>

<Data Name="Status">Access is denied.

</Data>

<Data Name="ClusterIdentity">CAPTIVAIA$</Data>

<Data Name="BinaryParameterLength">4</Data>

<Data Name="BinaryData">05000000</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Thanks

• Hello,

Thanks for any replies, I have found the problem. Our AD replication wasn't working so any permission changes on AD accounts weren't replicating for about 13 hours. Once they replicated the install ran correctly.

Andy

• Andrew Clark-151434 (4/13/2011)

Hello,

Thanks for any replies, I have found the problem. Our AD replication wasn't working so any permission changes on AD accounts weren't replicating for about 13 hours. Once they replicated the install ran correctly.

Andy

Hi, thanks for the update

• I have done it successfully.

Thanks

• Yes AD plays a very IMP role in cluster setup. You need to run the valid cluster and until the report given you aclean go you will face issues.

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• Check SQL Server service account is enable or not which one you are giving at the time of sql server installation,if this account is disabled then you cant install sql server

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Dear All,

I know this is an old post, but I am also facing the exact issue. I am installing a second SQl 2008 cluster instance on the Win 2008 cluster and it failed to create the network name in AD.

Now that I have to contact the AD admin and get the appropriate access. After that what to do?

Do I ned to uninstall SQL and reinstall from the scratch?

I can see the IP address, that I used for the cluster installation is already mapped to one of the node of the cluster, because when I pined that IP, its giving a reply and I can also login to a computer which contains that IP. Interestingly, the IP has been mapped to the 2nd node of the cluster where as I was doing the installation from the first node.

So my question is, after appropriate permission is granted by AD Admin what need to be done from my end?

Do I need to perform any clean up action...or else from where to start?

Please be informed, I am installinga named instance and a default instance alread exists on the cluster. So I dont see anything in add or remove programs specific to this instance..so waht to uninstall?

And, i was doing the installation in Advanced/Enterprise mode, means preparing the two nodes first with the setup support configuration files and then installing the setup on any of the cluster.

This has 2 steps:

Advanced -> Advanced Cluster Preparation.

Advanced -> Advanced Cluster Completion.

Since I have already completed the Advanced Cluster Preparation stage once, I believe this is not needed. So I tried to restart from the 2nd step i.e; Advanced Cluster Completion but it failed saying none of the nodes are not prepared and also No shatred storage is available.

So do you suggest me to start from teh first step (Advanced -> Advanced Cluster Preparation) after the appropriate AD access is given?

And what about the IP address. Its alredy mapped to something. can I reuse it...can I deallocate it somehow...else how to move ahead..??

I just checked now, to rerun the Cluster Setup

has

• at what point is the installation at, are there any services installed?

• Yes, all the services, Database services, agent services, Fulltext search services are created on both the nodes.

The SQl agent service is offline and network name are in failed state.

I tried to start the service on the node, which owns the shared drive and where I did the installation. it strated the SQL service only and the agent service failed to staret. On the other node, the services did not start at all.

While the SQL service is started, i tried to connect to the SQL server database engine and it failed.

Please suggest..

• The issue is resolved.

The issue occured because I was not having Account operator role in AD. So while I was trying to install, I was trying to create a new computer object in AD (the name of the virtual cluster), which I cant create unless I have Acount Operator permission.

I requested the AD admin to provide me Account operator role.

Then, Created the computer object manually in computer container of the domain.

Then added the newly created computer object to the security of both the physical nodes in AD.

Now started to start the SQL services from cluster administrator, and it started successfully.

but SQL server agent was not starting. I found that under SQL server resource group in the cluster, the SQL Server agent service is not added. I add that service manually. The agent service is atarted now 🙂

now everything is green :):cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply