SQL 2012 VS SQL 2008R2

• we have an application that hits 7TB of data and uses more memory for the processing which is currently in sql 2005 version. I am planning to upgrade the sql server now but I am thinking which version would be better, 2008 or 2012 please advise.

• There really isn't a whole lot of information to go on here.

Is this a mirrored system? Always On is a great feature if you have the enterprise version of 2012

OLAP or OLTP? Lots of new features added in 2012 and 2014 for OLAP.

• Biggest question is Enterprise Edition or not. If so, assuming your 7TB is a data warehouse then I would go straight to SQL 2014, or at least 2012 if your stuff isn't supported on that version, in order to take advantage of Column Store Indexes. There are other scalability enhancements in 2012 and 2014 over 2008R2 even for OLTP workloads.

BTW, you REALLY need to go to Windows 2012 (R2) as well. Huge benefits there over prior versions.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• I'd go right by 2012 and use 2014. The licensing costs are about the same, and the number of enhancements to 2012 functionality around things like columnstore, statistics, statistics maintenance, availability groups, etc., make a huge difference.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (11/11/2014)

I'd go right by 2012 and use 2014. The licensing costs are about the same, and the number of enhancements to 2012 functionality around things like columnstore, statistics, statistics maintenance, availability groups, etc., make a huge difference.

Does MS support upgrades from 2005 to 2014? Usually they only include 2 revs back so going from 2005 to 2012 might be the best thing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I guess I'd say you're buying 2014 no matter what. That's what's being sold for new licenses.

So, go 2014.

• SQL2008R2 is very stable but I wouldn't go with that as it is now over 6 years old and is already on extended support. I'd go with 2014 if you can... if not go with 2012.

I don't know if you can restore a SQL2005 db into SQL2014 though. You need to research that before you decide fully.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply