SQL 2012 vs SQL 2014 standard version performance

• Hi experts,

Anyone have tested the performance for SQL2012 vs SQL2014 standard version? Any improvement?

• There's no straight forward answer to that.

I think for the majority of regular OLTP use cases, running on identical hardware, without code changes to utilise new features, it's going to be pretty close to the same performance. There'll be the odd thing that runs better due to optimiser/statistics tweaks and the odd thing that runs slower and needs some changes, but this isn't a radical release to expect miracles from (except where you're utilising it with code changes - Hekaton etc.).

The big performance change for Standard Edition is you can double your RAM from 64gb to 128gb, so if you're at all constrained on buffer cache, it could make a world of difference if you can upgrade hardware as well.

• Noted. Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it very much.

• I agree with Howard. I have seen some interesting improvements in performance because of the new cardinality estimation across quite a few queries, including some I wouldn't have expected to see improved. I've also seen one or two regressions. On the whole, I'd say it's an improvement, but probably only, guessing, 5-10%.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply