SQL 2014 Migration with 0 downtime Question

• Have any one of you worked on a eCommerce/Bank/Live Site migration from SQL2012/Win 2008R2 to SQL2014/Win 2012R2 without taking a downtime. If yes what are the considerations and if no what would be the main pain points to not consider. I am not looking for exact answers but definitely some suggestions from your experience.

For example

- We currently have a 2 node AlwaysOn group with 2 servers & File share. Srv2012_1 & Srv2012_2 on Win 2008R2 with SQL Listener called Srv2012_SQL.

- Can we add 2 new Win 2012R2 nodes to the existing cluster with SQL 2014 in asynchronous mode

- Make 2014 primary and remove 2012 nodes from SQL & Cluster ?

- Finally we would have SQL 2014 on Win 2012 with same Cluster & SQL Listner name.

We would for sure do multiple testing in DEV on this approach, However wanted to check with the bigger SQL community on if there are limitations I need to consider and If i am missing something here ?

Thank you for your Suggestions. 🙂

...Kumar

• Found out that rolling upgrade is not supported within Windows Cluster for different versions of OS, So this is not an option.

Please do let me know if you guys have any great ideas for DB Server migration with minimum downtime.

...Kumar

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply