SQL 2016 to 2019 upgrade benefits

• Can someone help me with good reasons / selling points to upgrade from 2016 to 2019?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by  Jackie Lowery.
  • I think this really falls under "it depends".

Are you already licensed for 2019 (ie do you have software assurance OR do you need to buy 2019)?

Are there features in 2019 that you want to use that you currently are not using?

Do you have a good maintenance window to do the upgrade?

You will have to upgrade at some point as 2016 hits end of mainstream support in 2026 (if you are on SP3) whereas 2019 ends in 2030.  Those additional 4 years may be benefit to you.

Now, reasons not to upgrade are that the current features are good enough for your needs and 2019 doesn't offer anything new that you require AND it is still a supported version.  For me, my goal when upgrading is to handle 2 secnarios:

1 - New features are introduced in the newer version that I feel would benefit the company (Query Store for example, or more XE session objects I can capture)

2 - version is out of support (for example I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 that I am upgrading in a few weeks to 2017).

I am not upgrading to 2019 because the OS isn't supported and I don't want the headache of upgrading the OS AND the SQL instance in one outage window as that is destined to fail.

Some companies like running the latest and greatest, others think "it works, why change it?".  We are in the middle ground - we want to run supported versions, but doesn't need to be bleeding edge.

In your scenario, you may want to install it on Linux which needs 2017 or 2019.  You may want Java support.  I don't know your environment.  What I recommend is to check out some blogs about the new features in 2019 such as this one (not mine, just came up in a bing search) - https://www.skilleddba.com/2019/07/features-and-enhancements-in-sql-server.html

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• This.

Just that. Everything else is nice to have. But that, that's a flipping miracle. And yes, I mean the word other than flipping.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I've just been reading that 2019 has a lot of improvement in the area of the query optimizer, table variables, etc.  Not really looking for new features.  Just wondering if upgrading to 2019 would be an overall performance increase due to those changes.  Our SQL server is currently installed on a windows 2016 server OS.

• I'd argue you'll some some general performance enhancements, but it won't be night & day.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

This.

Just that. Everything else is nice to have. But that, that's a flipping miracle. And yes, I mean the word other than flipping.

Instantaneous transaction rollback

With ADR, transaction rollback is instantaneous, irrespective of the time that the transaction has been active or the number of updates that has performed.

this is the miracle - no more waiting for hours for a rollback to finish

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply